• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Siduri’s Masterpiece

Florida Jim

I’m sure if you asked Adam and Diana to tell you the name of their true masterpiece it would be Christian David, their son. Fittingly, they named their 1999 Hirsch vineyard pinot after him and this evening, Diane and I shared our second bottle.

I only got three and our first we drank in the spring of 2001 (release) and it was superb but showed quite young (again fittingly).

Tonight was leftover night, which in my house, is something to look forward to. Diane took some grilled olive bread and dressed it with white beans and a leftover combination of the tomato and caper sauces from last night. We also had left over grilled tuna for her and leftover grilled pork chop for me.

And of course, a bottle of

1999, Siduri, Christian David Pinot Noir:

Slight sediment/

Penetrating, brambly nose of fresh black raspberry and spice; complex and layered and never once drifting from bramble to stem/

Medium body with crisp acids, a mineral driven, earthy, crisp raspberry profile that is both lilting and intense, the bramble character is repeated and it delivers a certain focus that makes this clearly a Hirsch vineyard wine, intense, clean, well balanced and mouth-watering/

Long, spice and bramble driven finish that is decidedly dry without being tannic.

Last night we shared the 1996 Kistler, Hirsch Vineyard pinot with friends. It is a pretender to the terroir, being nearly overwhelmed by its wood. This, OTOH, is precise and the oak plays but a supporting role in the complexity of the nose and palate. A wonderful example of the vineyard, a wine obviously made with great care and a triumph among this region’s pinots. Ready now and delicious with the food.

Another masterpiece.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com