• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Priest Chokers

Caro Mario,

I'm writing an article on strangolapreti ... originally it was going to be something short and cute detailing the lesson my mother-in-law (who currently resides in Trento) gave to myself and a couple of friends during her first visit to America.

When I started doing more research on this recipe, I discovered that there isn't a set recipe. For example, in Trento they are ricotta & spinach gnocchi with a sage butter sauce, the Berghamaschi claim to have invented the forementioned recipe but throw a little pancetta in the mix, the Romans use this term to refer to potato gnocchi in a tomato sauce and in Basilicata it's a dried pasta shape (loose-twisties) served with a ragu'.

In your culinary travles, what versions of strangolapreti and strozzapreti have you run across and, more importantly, which do you prefer?

Ciao,

L

P.S. to eGullet -- thanks for the opportunity to speak to the Italian Food Oracle!

hip pressure cooking - making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!