• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bolognase

Hello Mario !

I have never been able to make a bolognase sauce that I consider equal to those I've had in Italy. I've tried numerous recipes...I've tried improvising...it simply never meets my expectations.

While it seems such a simple sauce...I'm never satisfied with my results. What's the secret?

P.S. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have dined at Babbo and lunched (with fellow eGulleteers) at Salumi...truely the best coast-to-coast !

Foodie-Girl

hey fg the recipe is simple the ingredients are accesible too take the time and do it right use a heavy bottomed pot like creuset or daniel bouloud's new stuff..... in 4 tb butter and 4 tb oil slowly sweat 2 celery, an onion and half a carrot, (all chopped fine , even in the food processor is alright) for 20 minutes, then add 1/2 pound each ground beef, veal and pork shoulder and cook until they start to brown in their own rendered fat, about 45 minutes over low heat.. add 1 cup milk and reduce to zero, then 1 cup white wine and reduce to zero, then add 2 cans tomato paste (italian naturally) and cook until it is rust colored, about 30 minutes.... then add 2 cups of good chicken stock and simmer 2 hours covered.... season to taste with salt ( no pepper) when you add the perfectly cooked noodles to the right amount of sauce add 1 tb butter and 3 tb freshly grated parm and toss off of heat 30 seconds till melting and delicious and serve to a bolognese xxoo mb