• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1997 Pio Cesare Barolo

Jean Brislance

1997 Pio Cesare Barolo – Way too soon to open, but there was a little stain on the DOCG label, so I feared the cork might be rotten. I opened it to find all was well, so here is one in the name of science: Dark red, very clear, with and orange tint to it. Extremely aromatic, with dusty berries, black licorice, flowers, and fresh earth. Flavors of cherry, red berries, licorice, minerals, tar, and fresh cut flowers. Very elegant and complex, but also quite tightly wound, even on day two. The tannins are firm, and the finish shows lots of minerals. I would have to say this is still a baby with a long life ahead of it. A beautiful wine with a future, and a pleasure to be able to taste it.

Jean