• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jewel Bako Makimono

juuceman

2nd Avenue between 5th and 6th.. opened last Friday.. simply decorated with bamboo playing the focal point in the design, similar to the original Jewel Bako around the corner but a lot simpler and more low key.. six or eight tables up front, seating for about eight to ten at the bar..

menu offers about eight starters but i skipped right to the sushi.. they offer a small and a large platter of either sushi or sushimi as well as a platter for two containing both.. there are 18 specialty 'makimono' rolls available a la carte as well as individual pieces and standard rolls on request.. maybe half a dozen saki's on the menu and the standard saporro/asahi beers.. unfortunately, the asahi dark offered at jewel bako didn't make it on to the menu..

i had the large sushi platter. at $28 it was a steal.. ten pieces of pristinely fresh, individually sauced and/or garnished pieces of fish as well as half of a spicy tuna roll.. nothing particularly out of the ordinary in terms of the fish offered, e.g. tuna/salmon/kanpachi/fresh shrimp/cooked shrimp/sea eel and a bunch of other fish i don't recall offhand..

followed this up (although it was plenty at this point) with a makimono of salmon, avocado, and shiso leaf.. this was interesting and nice and fresh tasting.. the shiso with the salmon was great..

then moved into a scallop hand roll with golden caviar, a bit of shiso, and some chives.. highlight of the meal right here..

Grace brought out a small dish of ice cream, vanilla and green tea, which were very interesting. They were two large gumdrop sized things, coated with a gelatinous rice coating.. the vanilla was great.. the green tea was ok..

no reservations.. the press has been in.. the photos have been taken.. i walked in and sat at the half empty bar at nine thirty and there were a few tables open.. once ny magazine covers it, it's over.. think lines tomoe style..

• 1 month later...

i went to jb makimono this past friday and thought the sushi was awesome. i had the same ass't as juuceman, but smaller: 6 different pieces of fish (tuna, yellowtail, whitefish, mackeral, eel, and salmon) + 1/2 a spicy tuna roll ($18). i also had a little amuse of salmon+avo wrapped in sesame seed dotted rice paper. the sushi were well presented, eatable in 1 bite, and had great garnishes. ive never been to jb .. im guessing these sushi are simila. ive been to tomoe and yama lately. never again.. i finished with the same mochi ice cream ($4) as juuceman. the service was very warm and attentive. i was there between ~7 and 8pm, and the tiny restaurant (7ish seats at sushi bar, 1 table for 4, 4? tables for 2) only had 4 other people when i arrived, and was about 1/2 full when i left. i will *definitely* be eating here as much as my thin wallet can afford before summer's over and the crowds arrive!

Is this in the Blue Goose Cafe space? Or just around it?

That's right, though you wouldn't recognize it. In fact, the first time I went I walked past it twice before spotting the place. They've designed the exterior to look just like JB, but light grey instead of black.

I think the food is very good, and the fish is pristine but JBM doesn't have the selection the original has -- and that's the point. They don't even list the a la carte sushi options on the menu, though you can certainly order whatever you want. They even do takeout (but not delivery). The sushi chefs are nice but it's not interactive experience you get at the original JB -- even at the bar you get your sushi as a platter, which I was a bit disappointed by.

People rave about the seared tuna niscoise salad, but I thought it was nothing special. I've liked the other kitchen dishes, though. (I would like to add that their chef is really cute).

It's never been super-crowded, which is odd seeing how popular the original is. I don't spend sleepless nights thinking about their food the way I do at Jewel Bako proper (I really need to go back... soon) but if I'm in the East Village and craving sushi and have made no plans JBM is the first place I now think of.

-bill

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Had take out from there last night. 9 itsy bitsy little pieces of sushi for $18. It's most certainly well made. Not as expertly crafted as JB proper but above average overall. Not cheap but well worth it.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.