• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vodka watermelon

jld

I'm currently using method #1, ie cutting a whole in the watermelon and then putting the upside down bottle in it. It's been working for 4 or 5 hours now, and only the tinest amount of liquor (a quarter shot) has left the bottle. Any way to speed the process up? My party is in 18 hours or so!

Back at Georgia Tech, when we'd go out and raft the Chattahoochie, we'd bribe one of the Emory med students for a hypodermic (one of the REALLY big, through the rib cage, into the heart, here-it-comes ones), and inject pure grain alcohol into the center of the watermelon. Then we'd let it sit overnight in an ice chest full of ice, and cut it up on the river.

I'm not sure how much of an even distribution of alcohol we got, since my mind frequently blanked out after the first piece. Or was it the first bite?

Good luck, and have a nice party! :smile:

PS

Inject in several batches, with time in between each syringe-full. I remember one time we did it, and the poor sod tried to pump three syringes in at one time, and it backed up on him.

Edited by Singapore (log)

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

Tried that link. It's a link to a link.

Here is the (original) link. Sort of.

http://www.miss-charming.com/bartender/watermelon.html

:wacko: I guess I really was tired when I posted that....

We've injected oranges for shits and giggles, but have yet to do a watermelon. I think I rather throw frozen chunks of the melon (in place of ice) into my blender and add Cointreau, tequila and a bit of freshly made sour. :raz:

I hope it all works out and fun will be had by all.