• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zarole - Ridgewood

tommy

Tommy--the place has gotten good reviews. The menu reads beautifully. That's it. Let us know what you think. We were only there once.

TOMMY--I just found this in my notes. Rosie

We were warmly greeted at Zarole, a beautiful BYO restaurant at 20 East Ridgewood Ave. Ridgewood. The dining room has padded chairs and tables set far apart making for a comfortable dining experience. The décor is contemporary American with oils on the walls, flowers on the tables and Villeroy & Boch place settings. Tall undulating candles surround the room.

When we were seated we were immediately brought a crabmeat eggroll with a cilantro essence as the amuse bouche. I thought this concept was interesting because it sets the mood before you even look at the menu and as the eggroll was delicious we were anxious to try the other dishes that the chef had on the menu. What do you think? Do you like the idea of the amuse bouche being given to you before the menu or after you order?

When you go to a restaurant the décor, service and food all play an important roll in your experience. At Zarole the décor and service were excellent. My problem is that some of the food didn't taste as good as it read on the menu.

Appetizers were two ample crab cakes with an avocado puree, tomato salsa, and basil essence (ผ) which were very good and without filler but I would have preferred a more assertive sauce. The soft shell crab, a large one, with asparagus, grilled eggplant, roasted pepper and a basil coulis (ผ) was tasty and while the sweet pepper sauce was interesting I would have preferred a spicier sauce. Entrees were disappointing. The duck with foie gras, a potato shallot cake and duck jus (ส) was tough and I didn't care for the sauce. Lowell liked the sauce but not the duck. The potato cake looked like a fat potato latka and was delicious. My halibut with chewy Israeli cous cous, julienne vegetables surrounded with a warm balsamic vinaigrette was overdone and tasteless.

We opted not to order dessert although there were some tempting items all priced at ű such as: apricot bread pudding, orange crème brûlée, rhubarb soup and lemon mousse napoleon.

My decaf cappuccino was perfect. Lowell didn't like his coffee. After we finished our coffee a plate of 5 or 6 miniature desserts were brought to the table. They were ok but not anything I would run to order. Another note, when we entered the restaurant there was a fishy smell. I don't know if this was because it was so muggy outside or not. The dinner was 贄 for the two of us with tax and tip. Phone: 201-670-5701

6/17/01

(Edited by Rosie at 9:48 pm on Nov. 15, 2001)

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

My parents like Marchello's (east of the RR tracks), also located in Ridgewood.  I was only there once and was in a bad mood that nite, so my thoughts on this place that nite don't count for much.  However, my mom is definately knows good food from bad.... and my dad is just plain fussy, so given that they go there frequently, i'll pass it along.

Quote: from thereuare on 9:20 am on Nov. 19, 2001

Tommy,

In case you didn't see it, in the New Jersey section of the Sunday NY Times there was an article about chefs and their passions.  The chef from Zarole's (Mr. Patel?) was interviewed in the article.

indeed i did see it thereuare.  thanks for the heads up!

(didn't go there the other night...they were booked)