• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soan papddi

I love soan papdi! I have never attempted to make it either, but I have heard it is a little tricky. I find it similar to Mysore pak. You can get good soan papdi in Mathura/Vrindavan region. I only ate sweets during the whole time I was in that area. Milk cake.... lassi.....peda..... :raz:

Maybe I will try and make some too, when you find a recipe.

Edited by Edward (log)

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

I Kolkata/Calcutta, you typically find two types of "shon papri" (that's how the Bengalis pronounce it).

There's the one kind which is kinda hard and has a sticky feel to it.

There's the other kind which is extremely flaky and fragile. Not sticky at all, but made up of "fiber" like things. These "fibers" melt in your mouth as soon as you put them in. This latter type is my favorite.

Unfortunately, how a son-papdi is made is a complete mystery to me.

Made it once long long ago.

I think you brown some besan in ghee or oil like you were making a roux then fold in hot sugar syrup of a certain consistancy. you then set this in a tray and cut it into squares. To flake it you lift it in when its semi set and ' twist' it. But I could be way off.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

just a quick question about the recipe link. charmagaz aren't readily available in my hood. bought some online once, and was disappointed to receive seeds that tasted stale and rancid.

while i tend to dislike substitutions, what do you think is the best substitution in the u.s. for this particular recipe? pine nuts? green pumpkin seeds? slivered almonds? i'd guess this isn't a big deal, just curious.

thanks,

whippy

Okay i am sick of waiting (said with humor). I am trying this recipe on monday night, i don't have all of the ingredients... but will deal with what i have. I will post a picture of the results.

Thanks All!

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

Sorry for making you wait. Life is just going at 700 miles and hour and I am trying to play catch up!

Looking forward to your results. This is one of the hardest Indian desserts to prepare.. I personally would prefer buying it readymade. Since you are professionally trained I am sure the results you produce will be delightful!

Thanks again and do post the results here -- along with a story of your experience

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

• 9 months later...

Bumping this up because I had my first taste of this very delectable treat this morning.

gallery_11814_148_28611.jpg

It is sweet and oh so fragile, and beautifully perfumed with cardamom. Absolute heaven.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti