• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dr. Konstantin Frank

fignewton

I thought so....they had a tasting at Wegman's this morning and I thought they were pretty good.....I didn't expect much from NY wines (my lack of sophistication maybe) but liked everything they had - the whites (Riesling, Chardonnay) were best...and the Rielsing is rated well.

What do other think of these wines?....I sometimes get "caught in the moment" at a tasting and later don't think as much of a wine......we'll see...I bought a few bottles.

If you like Dr. Frank, you should also try Hermann J. Weimer. Either his Dry Johannisberg Riesling or the reserve version of the same wine (if you can find it; highly unlikely). When he makes a TBA (he hasn't for a few years) it's exceptional, but he's got an ice wine I plan to try that should be good.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I had the pleasure to visit the winery and meet Dr. Frank some 30 years ago. It is one of my favorite wine memories . I was coming back from a vacation and stopped to visit the Finger Lakes as the wine bug had already bitten me and as Dr. Frank was already legendary my highest priority was to visit him. The old man spent about half the day with me in the winery and vineyards. When it was time to go and I commented to him it was hard to choose which bottles to buy, but my end of vacation cash supply was low. The good Doctor laughed and sent me away with 2 cases of assorted wines saying to send him a check when I got home. I still have the copy of the canceled check signed by him.

Dr. Frank made his fame not as a winemaker (although he made some very good wines), but as a vineyardist whose work with vinifera established they could be grown in climates like the Finger Lakes

I had the pleasure to visit the winery and meet Dr. Frank some 30 years ago. It is one of my favorite wine memories . I was coming back from a vacation and stopped to visit the Finger Lakes as the wine bug had already bitten me and as Dr. Frank was already legendary my highest priority was to visit him. The old man spent about half the day with me in the winery and vineyards. When it was time to go and I commented to him it was hard to choose which bottles to buy, but my end of vacation cash supply was low. The good Doctor laughed and sent me away with 2 cases of assorted wines saying to send him a check when I got home. I still have the copy of the canceled check signed by him.

Dr. Frank made his fame not as a winemaker (although he made some very good wines), but as a vineyardist whose work with vinifera established they could be grown in climates like the Finger Lakes

CRaig,

Lucky you to have spent time with "the man" who said vinifera could work in the Finger Lakes.

The quality of wines coming from this area has improved dramatically over the years and it is due to his jump starting the thinking that fine wine can work in this "terroir." You just need to find the right spot to plant and work with what nature gives you.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

You just need to find the right spot to plant and work with what nature gives you.

And very importantly choose the right varietals for your terroir, rather than whatever is fashionable. He seems to have done just that.