• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Norton

Rob Roy

Norton is a unique American grape. The best discription and history can be found at Norton Information

Norton ages very well, and I have found it an excellent match with roast beef. It is my standard Christmas Dinner wine.

Interesting. I must confess I have not been familiar with the varietal, despite having lived four years in Charlottesville - but taht was before Horton started using it. Which have you tried?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've tried several vintages from Horton, Valhalla, Cooper, Chrysalis, and Rappahannock. All these wineries are from Virginia where the grape was discovered. I've also tried one from West Virginia.

Norton is very dark. One winery, Chrysalis, made a Norton Rosé, but it turned out darker than most reds. The nose is floral with lilacs predominating. There is a unique taste that I have yet to find in anything but a Norton. It is a full bodied wine, which needs to age. Right now, I'm working on my 1998 Horton Nortons, and they are still young.

It is also the big grape here in Missouri, sometimes called cynthania. I am pretty sure of that, though I am not a fan so I haven't looked all that hard into it.

It is surely unique. The one time I tried it, I found it to be heavy and dominated by a bitter coffee and tar element with hints of deep deep black fruits.

It is not for the weak of heart/palate.

My opinion of course.

I've always wanted to ask why no wineries around here try to grow the "big name" grapes. The weather is fairly hot around here for the growing season but I can see syrah doing pretty well given my limited knowledge.

Sorry to bring the thread off topic...

Regards,

Jay Doyle

It is also the big grape here in Missouri, sometimes called cynthania. I am pretty sure of that, though I am not a fan so I haven't looked all that hard into it.

It is surely unique. The one time I tried it, I found it to be heavy and dominated by a bitter coffee and tar element with hints of deep deep black fruits.

It is not for the weak of heart/palate.

My opinion of course.

I've always wanted to ask why no wineries around here try to grow the "big name" grapes. The weather is fairly hot around here for the growing season but I can see syrah doing pretty well given my limited knowledge.

Sorry to bring the thread off topic...

Regards,

Jay Doyle

Norton is a great grape and does extremely well in VA and Missouri.

As to growing Vinifera in Missouri, I think the problem lies in the difficult winters and the humid summers and possibly soils, too.

Norton seems the ideal red grape as it is very winter hardy and sheds the summer heat easily. Plus its indigenous to the region.

Over the years of my tasting the grape/wine, winemakers seem to have been able to tame its tendency to make astringet wines. The fruit aromas and flavors are very intriquing and the wines seem to age well.

Support your local wines and wineries!

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover