• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minado

Lreda

So I finally went to the branch in Morris Plains and am still feeling the effects 7 hours later.  This place is very similar to Todai, a perhaps better known Japanese seafood buffet chain, in terms of offerings, quality, etc.  I recommend getting the handrolls at the sushi bar, as they're made fresh.  Generally, the quality of fish is certainly acceptable and the setup of the restaurant allows for small samplings of a lot of things.  I also enjoyed the hibachi station, as this was also made to order.  On the night I went, they didn't have lobsters and featured jumbo head-on prawns in their place.  These were suprisingly unpopular with the diners but were very good.  All in all, not something I would be able to repeat on a regular basis, but fun for the experience.

I had the opportunity to go to the Morris Plains Minado a few weeks ago for the first time, after being to the Little Ferry location a few times. The Morris Plains location blew me away. It is much nicer than the Little Ferry location, with a much larger variety of foods and much nicer decor. I plan to make the Morris Plains location my official Minado location, even though it's quite a ride for me. The Little Ferry location is very good, but Morris Plains blows it away.

• 1 year later...

we just went to the MP Minado last night, and had a ball--I thought the sushi was pretty good--the rice was fresh and delicious on the sushi which is important to me.

there is a stupendous variety of things to eat--something for everyone I'm sure I didn't see and try everything this first time--I'll have a gameplan the next time we go.

(bring an extra stomach)

the beef tataki was delicious, also a raw red snapper sliced very thin with a sauce that had a lot of sesame oil--I loved this.

I didn't see lobsters--where do you get them? where the crab legs are?

also where do you get hand rolls made--want to try that next time.

service was very attentive, and there were lots of Asians there--more than caucasians, actually.

Zoe

we just went to the MP Minado last night, and had a ball--I thought the sushi was pretty good--the rice was fresh and delicious on the sushi which is important to me.

there is a stupendous variety of things to eat--something for everyone  I'm sure I didn't see and try everything this first time--I'll have a gameplan the next time we go.

(bring an extra stomach)

the beef tataki was delicious, also a raw red snapper sliced very thin with a sauce that had a lot of sesame oil--I loved this.

I didn't see lobsters--where do you get them?  where the crab legs are?

also where do you get hand rolls made--want to try that next time.

service was very attentive, and there were lots of Asians there--more than caucasians, actually.

Zoe

Glad you discovered the wonderful world of Minado. I love this place, even though it's a bit expensive. But in this case, you truly get what you pay for.

As far as lobsters, they only bring out lobster tails, and usually rotate it with the giant prawns. They go very quickly, and they are slow to replace them. You're not missing much, though. I didn't think they were that great.

Crab legs are cold, and kept on the salad bar.

You can get the hand rolls simply by asking one of the sushi chefs to make them for you.

Hope you enjoy your next visit even more!