• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zafra, Hoboken

Bruce S

Folks:

Any feedback on Zafras in Hoboken would be welcome. Food? Service? Decor? Vibe? Value?

We may go tonight, so a timely response would be appreciated.

Thanks.

"I dreamed last night, oh marvelous error,

That there are honey bees in my heart

Making honey out of my old failures" - Antonio Machado

• 4 weeks later...

I give Zafra a huge thumbs up. Great great authentic (to my taste) pan-latino cuisine. Some really amazing tapas dishes -- don't miss the empanadas. Also, it's BYO, and they'll even prepare traditional cocktails like margaritas, caipurinhas, mojitos, and such, if you provide the spirits. Major bonus on that score: they have fresh sugar cane as well as the requisite freshly squeezed citrus.

Besides the food, it's a beautiful space. But limited tables, so arrive early!

Go! Go!

Christopher

Friends who live in Hoboken JUST told me about Zafra this week...seems they brought a bottle of Rancho Zabaco Zin with them, and the restaurant made awesome sangria for them. And they raved about a tuna dish there...

I'd love to hear about some other items off the menu!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Rosie,

Thanks for the welcome!

My Hoboken faves are Anthony David's and Amanda's. (I'm very much looking forward to the new casual bistro that the crew at Amanda's is planning.)

For a cheap night out, nothing beats Margarita's for "comfort Italian" food. Satay is also a great low-budget Hoboken choice for Malaysian.

For Mexican, Charrito's is top-notch Oaxacan. Incredible moles, excellent tableside guacamole.

And coming back to Zafra, I'll have to admit that I don't get there terribly often, so some concerns I've read on this board about lousy service may well be true these days. But hopefully not!

Christopher

Chris, i'm in strong agreement with you on Margheritas... excellent comfort food as you always know what you'll get.

Have you tried La Isla? This is our new weekly stop now that Saffron (4th and Bloomfield) has sold to the Karma owners and the food has gone from amazing to awful.

I think if you like Zafra you will love La Isla... i think one of the best restaurants in town (don't be fooled by the decor... or the lack of it!) Is also BYOB! BTW, with Zafra being BYOB and making frozen drinks if you bring the liquor... i recall reading on their menu they charge like $5 for that... hardly a BYOB advantage in my book.

Since you mentioned tapas have you been to Lola's on 14th? We went once when they first opened and the food was very good. We live more downtown so just haven't had a chance to get up that way again recently (and when we do we usually end up at the Baja for the 'special'). Maybe we'll re-visit now that the weather is starting to get warmer it'll make going for a walk uptown more of a possibility.

I've never had Malaysian food but as my wife just returned from Malaysia and loved the food there we will soon try Satay... glad to hear a good review about it.

Speaking of Satay, we also enjoy Sri Thai as an easy place to pop-in on a Saturday nite without a wait.

Last nite we ate at Zac's Oak Bar and i'm always happy when i leave there... food is on the inexpensive side and is good. Staff is very welcoming and friendly and somehow makes you feel very at home.

Edited by thereuare (log)