• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Herr's Guacamole Dip

O.K.- I have a confession to make. Until a couple of months ago I had never eaten any pre done guac. Then, unbeknownst to me, the lovely Mrs. Mayhaw put some in a bowl during burrito night here at homemade central. Not only did I like it, but I made a comment like "I sure am glad you didn't mash the hell out of this stuff, I really like it much better chunky". Well, a smarmy looking Mrs. Mayhaw whips out the box and shows me that it is not homemade. Stunned, I reached across the table and hit her in the face with the avacado mush and my children notified the police............not really. But I was amazed. I have yet to hear the end of being fooled like that.

It is not as good as homemade, but damn close. Especially if you add a little chopped tomato and a little lime juice. The avacado is only about 2/3 mashed and there are some pretty big chunks in it .

This stuff is produced by Avoclassic and I have only had the classic version of the stuff, but it is pretty handy to have at work for lunch or for a little afternoon snack when I am feeling particularly lazy. The only inredients are avacados, jalapeno puree, onion, salt, granulated garlic. No preservatives and it is dated and actually doesn't last very long, so check the date. We have it at a couple of groceries around here and it is in the produce section over the avacados in both stores.

I am not saying it is the best thing I ever ate, but it is pretty good for what it is and reasonably priced to boot (especially when avacados are high)..

I feel better after a good, cleansing confession. Don't you?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 3 weeks later...
Whole Foods makes gucamole which is quite good. I noticed recently that they now have something called "low-fat guacamole," and I was wondering about it because I've never heard of a low-fat avocado. It looks the same as their regular guacamole. So I read the ingredients (a regular Sherlock I am), and the secret low-fat ingredient here is: peas!

I also noticed peas in the guacamole at Fresh Fields (which was merged into Whole Foods) four or five years ago. I don't think the label said anything about "low fat". I assumed they included mashed peas because peas are green and cheaper than avocados.

Edited by lueid813 (log)

. . .

This stuff is produced by Avoclassic and I have only had the classic version of the stuff, but it is pretty handy to have at work for lunch or for a little afternoon snack when I am feeling particularly lazy. The only inredients are avacados, jalapeno puree, onion, salt, granulated garlic. No preservatives and it is dated and actually doesn't last very long, so check the date.

. . .

What's interesting about this product is that it is pasteurized with pressure, not heat. This works real well for guacamole because it is supposed to be mashed.

www.avoclassic.com/avofresh.html

The same high-pressure sterilization also works for oysters, and the process also causes their shells to open!

Ultra-High Pressure Revolutionizes Seafood Processing

New Processor Could Help Keep Oysters Longer

A little sour cream is good. Then, 2 mashed avacadoes, lemon juice, salt, 1 clove minced garlic and some fresh ground cumin ( not the crap that's been hanging out in your pantry for the last two years either). Let it sit for a while in the fridge. Throw some chopped tomatoes on top if you want to.

Melissa