• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

93 Laurel Glen

Florida Jim

With roast pork tenderloin, green peas and a mushroom risotto gratin:

1993 Laurel Glen, Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain:

Very fine nose of cassis, dust, black fruit and light earth; interestingly complex/

Full body but delineated and cleanly compact, silt-like tannins, flavors are beautifully fruit-sweet without giving any indication of over-ripeness, excellent concentration and balance, showing some appealing secondary character/

Amazing length.

A superb wine that paired perfectly with the meal, this is entering a “ready-to-drink” stage but is in no danger decline. As good a cabernet sauvignon based wine as I have had in the past year.

About $40, retail on release.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim,

I picked up an 89 LG a few months ago only to find out later that it was an off year. Fortunately the price was right and I probably would have bought it anyway. Just curious if you've had one from that vintage?? I haven't opened it yet.

Thanks

Rodney

Rodney,

While storage is always an issue, if this bottle was cellared well you have the wine of the vintage. I have had a case of that wine since release and it has always shown well. Drink up.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com