• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anselmi Capitel Croce & Foscarino

davidbdesilva

Recently had a bottle of 2001 Anselmi Capitel Foscarino, which was perhaps the loveliest bottle of Soave I've had. I have also had the Capitel Croce (also by Anselmi), which was excellent as well, but the Foscarino seemed even fuller, richer, and more full of fruit. While you won't see the word "Soave" on the bottles (Anselmi finally got so pissed off at the poor quality of typical Soave that he took the name off of his), they seem to be the full potential of this wine. I also enjoy Pieropan as well, but the Foscarino seems to be fuller and richer. Anyone else enjoy these wines? or have other Soaves you enjoy?

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

or have other Soaves you enjoy?

It may be different in style from the Anselmi you enjoyed, but I am very fond of Inama. All stainless steel fermentation. Crisp, lively, acidic, but still with plenty of character.

A wine similar in style to what you enjoyed would be the Gini Soave La Frosca.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

The changes and improvement of Soave have been amazing. However, there are some producers that take it to the extreme by seemingly trying to make a kind of wine syrup. More is not always better.

My top list would include:

Pieropan, Inama, Tamellini, Gini, Anselmi, Suavia and new vintages from Marcato especially Il Tirso.

It may be different in style from the Anselmi you enjoyed, but I am very fond of Inama. All stainless steel fermentation. Crisp, lively, acidic, but still with plenty of character.

Only the regular bottling of Inama is aged in stainless steel. All the single vineyard wines get the barrique treatment.

I think the Inama Foscarino is quite extraordinary.