• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oh, crap.

Verjuice

I just opened a couple of bottles of Quady Vya vermouth. How should I store them and how long will they be good for? I found a thread that had info on it claiming that port can stick around for about a week. Is vermouth the same?

If so, then I'm going to have to get busy :wub: .

Any help would be dearly appreciated!

Edited by Verjuice (log)

Verjuice: vermouth can last for months if you rebottle and keep it in the refrigerator. Use the smallest air-tight bottles you can find and fill them right up. Leave no air! Miniatures are fine - specially if you're as ungenerous with the vermouth as I am.

A common cause for bad Martinis is extra dry white vermouth that has gone off, i.e. musty and rotten-smelling. Same with the red vermouth and its own cocktails - only worse. Never leave vermouth in the original big bottle and never outside.

Btw, Tawny Port and LBV Port will keep for at least two months. Only Vintage Port goes off after about 24 hours. Madeira, of course, will last you for years.

I have a different take, but then I probably go through my vermouths a lot faster. I always leave it in it's original bottle and nearly never refrigerate the sweet vermouths. I don't notice any difference in the time it takes me to go through a bottle. I do like to keep it out of direct light and not in the hottest part of the kitchen, but I think that goes without saying for any booze.

To use up your vermouth, if you have both, I'd suggest red and whites with a twist of lemon or orange.

regards,

trillium

Ah, f'r' fiddlesticks' sake, just drink it. Nothing is so refined it can't be mixed with Clamato or RubyRed grapefruit juice. Mind you, don't be mixing the two of those.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Ah, f'r' fiddlesticks' sake, just drink it. Nothing is so refined it can't be mixed with Clamato or RubyRed grapefruit juice. Mind you, don't be mixing the two of those.

ROTFLMAO

Please have pity on a poor pinche and translate the acrostic.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

ROTFLMAO

Please have pity on a poor pinche and translate the acrostic.

Rolling

On

The

Floor

Laughing

My

Ass

Off