• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Tement Gelber Muskateller 2002

Carema

God bless Styria! Even though it was only about 20 degrees F in Chicago today it seemed very warm for some reason, hot even. So I bought this white home tonight to have with a meager meal of rice turkey and peas mixed together.

What a delight! Fresh and happy with tons of keffir lime , lovely chalky mineral, & hints of pithy unripe orange peel- zippy acid. It leaves your mouth wanting for more. It makes me think that tomorrow in the sky the heavens will be opened up, Ewan will get an A on his spelling test and all those people who insist on drinking Cabernet Sauvignon with Thai food will wake up and think "Muskateller, that's a fine idea." A girl can always dream anyway. And sometimes dreams come true.

$17.95/ bottle

over it

God bless Styria! Even though it was only about 20 degrees F in Chicago today it seemed very warm for some reason, hot even. So I bought this white home tonight to have with a meager meal of rice turkey and peas mixed together.

What a delight! Fresh and happy with tons of keffir lime , lovely chalky mineral, & hints of pithy unripe orange peel- zippy acid. It leaves your mouth wanting for more. It makes me think that tomorrow in the sky the heavens will be opened up, Ewan will get an A on his spelling test and all those people who insist on drinking Cabernet Sauvignon with Thai food will wake up and think "Muskateller, that's a fine idea." A girl can always dream anyway. And sometimes dreams come true.

$17.95/ bottle

good lord, how do we get some of that!!!

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

While not Styrian, Brudelmayer (from the Kamptal in Austria) makes some very nice Muskateller as well. I've been working through a case of the 2000 for the last couple of years and it's holding up nicely. Not surprisingly I have used it as an accompaniment to Thai food. It's a great match.

A little further afield, Muller-Catoir (Pfalz, Germany) makes fine Muskateller. Even now after the regime change the Muskateller is still very good.

Gross is one of the more highly regarded Muskateller guys in the Steiermark. Theirs is, perhaps, a tad finer than the Tement (who's the meister of Sauvignon Blanc).

Another lovely dry Muscat can be had from the Bolognani winery in Lavis (Trento/Italia). And in the Val d'Aosta, the winery called La Crotta di Vegneron makes a delicious Chambave Muscat...

And, yes...pity those poor souls who drink Cabernet, Merlot and/or Chardonnay with virtually everything.