• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1959 Haut-Brion

docsconz

This was a very interesting wine tasted from a 375ml bottle from a very generous friend.

The color was brick red. While the tannins were rather mellow, the wine had plenty of fruit remaining. It actually still needed a little time to fully open. Nice.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I had the opportunity to taste the '59 La Tour about three years ago. It is without a doubt the most memorable wine I have tasted. I was still quite youthful. If someone had told me it was a 95, I might have beleived it!

I lucked into helping a friend cook lunch for 11 collectors who were in town for a wine drinking weekend. They drank 3 flights of 6 Bordeaux. We got invited to taste the last flight -- 4 1961's (I have lost my notes and don't recall which wines), the La Tour and the 1937 Lafite. Oh, and the the 1973 Y'Quem with dessert.

All in all, al pretty good day for spending a couple hours helping with a 4 or 5 course lunch.

The collectors were a bunch of really nice guys. They were all from Northern Ohio and Pennsylvania and get together twice a year in some city or another. The day I met them, the guys had lunch while the women shopped and they met up again for a Burgundy themed dinner. I have often wondered about the dinner that night. The guys got up from the lunch table about 4:30 and had 6:30 dinner reservations!

I have only really had the Gruaud Larose 59 which is still very good and by no means over the hill yet. Comparing this one property to the few 1961s that I have had, I would say that I would go for the 59 every time.

I am wondering whether the 1961s have rather taken the glory away from the 59s.

As to half bottles, I have been lucky enough to have had a few 1964 Latour and this is still incredibly good.

Had the good luck to do the 1945 and 1961 HBs this year. Both were stunning, with lots of life left. I cheated myself on the 1945, by decanting only for sediment just before serving. It had a foresty nose and was absolutely delicious, but I could not believe that it actually needed longer decanting at that age. We couldn't resist, and sucked it down before its full aromatic potential was realized. The 1961 was just the opposite-it showed enormous aromatic power and complexity from the minute that the bottle stink blew off, and was as least as delicious as the 1945. In my opinion, the 1961 is probably the better bottle...

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com