• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ch. Lafite Rothschild 1970 - Corked!

Phil Ward

Some dear friends and lovers of wines spent the weekend. Perfect time for the above, but after standing it up for 24 hours, extracting the cork slowly and decanting carefully, it was *&$#@ corked. I had been given this by my wife many years ago and she had bought it from a retailer in Brooklyn on release.

So much for that bottle. Thankfully, I still have two left but now am concerned. There is no way to get a credit from the retailer, importer, negociant or the winery. I did send a note to Lafite from their web site but am not expecting anything.

As an alternative, we did have a very nice bottle of Ch Beauregard 1996.

Oh, also had a phenomenal bottle of Leroy Puligny-Montrachet, Les Folatieres, 1993 as an aperitif. Perfect, lovely and still quite youthful.

All in all a wonderful snowy weekend in NJ with great friends.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Some dear friends and lovers of wines spent the weekend. Perfect time for the above, but after standing it up for 24 hours, extracting the cork slowly and decanting carefully, it was *&$#@ corked. I had been given this by my wife many years ago and she had bought it from a retailer in Brooklyn on release.

So much for that bottle. Thankfully, I still have two left but now am concerned. There is no way to get a credit from the retailer, importer, negociant or the winery. I did send a note to Lafite from their web site but am not expecting anything.

As an alternative, we did have a very nice bottle of Ch Beauregard 1996.

Oh, also had a phenomenal bottle of Leroy Puligny-Montrachet, Les Folatieres, 1993 as an aperitif. Perfect, lovely and still quite youthful.

All in all a wonderful snowy weekend in NJ with great friends.

Phil

If you have an exceptional relationship with your wine guy - anything is possible. You'd have to be able to guarantee provenance which is a hard thing to do.

Are you sure it was actually corked and not merely over the hill? Did you keep it in a wine cellar? We opened a bottle of 1970 Ch. Lafite for the Millenium. It had been in our cellar for several years before we installed climate control but had spent its last fifteen years at 55°. A couple of years before we opened it the people from Lafite came to New York and we had it re-corked. Alas, when we opened it we found it long gone - no fruit, no complexity, just flat. It could have been a $10.00 bottle - a terrible disappointment.

Ruth Friedman

There is no way to get a credit from the retailer, importer, negociant or the winery. I did send a note to Lafite from their web site but am not expecting anything.

3-5% of wines are corked including first growths, it is essentially an "act of god", that is, it has nothing to do with storage or shipping, cannot be deterimined in advance, and its really no ones fault. It is far more common than people realize, and there is no reason to believe that there will be any problem with your remaining bottles. There have been debates in prior threads as to who should assume financial responsibility and it comes down to who built this risk into their price. In summary, the consensus as I remember was that restaurants should replace a corked bottle, retailers probably should, but this is not open and shut, and auction houses will not. I don't believe anyone yet has suggested that the problem should be put back onto the chateau.

Chateau Lafite 1970, although disappointing, should not be over the hill if stored properly.

Edited by marcus (log)

I remember reading that a bottle of Petrus 2000 was found to be corked during a tasting earlier this year of 200 Bordeaux. I can't imagine 6000$ and a corked bottle.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I remember reading that a bottle of Petrus 2000 was found to be corked during a tasting earlier this year of 200 Bordeaux. I can't imagine 6000$ and a corked bottle.

Happens all the time.

What I can't imagine is wasting such a valuable wine which is so unready to drink and couldn't possibly yield any real pleasure at this point.

What I can't imagine is wasting such a valuable wine which is so unready to drink and couldn't possibly yield any real pleasure at this point.

While you are undoubtedly correct that it is a probably a bit premature to be opening this bottle and that further aging may enhance it considerably, I would say that it is still entirely possible that "real" pleasure could indeed be had from the bottle even now even if it is not as much as it might be in the future :wink::smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

While you are undoubtedly correct that it is a probably a bit premature to be opening this bottle and that further aging may enhance it considerably, I would say that it is still entirely possible that "real" pleasure could indeed be had from the bottle even now even if it is not as much as it might be in the future :wink::smile:

i don't know, but aren't tastings pretty much standard, even with young wines?

While you are undoubtedly correct that it is a probably a bit premature to be opening this bottle and that further aging may enhance it considerably, I would say that it is still entirely possible that "real" pleasure could indeed be had from the bottle even now even if it is not as much as it might be in the future :wink:  :smile:

I'm not sure I understand your point, Tommy. :huh:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

While you are undoubtedly correct that it is a probably a bit premature to be opening this bottle and that further aging may enhance it considerably, I would say that it is still entirely possible that "real" pleasure could indeed be had from the bottle even now even if it is not as much as it might be in the future :wink:  :smile:

no point. question. i'm asking if the wine tasting community routinely samples wines that are young. i would think so, so i wouldn't think that this tasting at which the corked bottle was discovered wasn't so much a bad decision or "waste" of wine, but rather routine. (my comment, although i quoted you, wasn't pointed towards your statement, but rather i was asking you - and others - the awkwardly phrased question. :smile: )

Edited by tommy (log)

no point. question. i'm asking if the wine tasting community routinely samples wines that are young. i would think so, so i wouldn't think that this tasting at which the corked bottle was discovered wasn't so much a bad decision or "waste" of wine, but rather routine. (my comment, although i quoted you, wasn't pointed towards your statement, but rather i was asking you - and others - the awkwardly phrased question. :smile: )

Young wines are probably "tasted" for several reasons. One, they can and do afford considerable pleasure on their own terms, especially the modern "internationally" styled wines and two, to provide a basis for a buzz with which to sell them.

Twitter - @docsconz

To all who have posted thanks for your comments.

1) It was corked as I have been tasting wines for over 30 years and selling them professionally for close to 20 years. Corked is corked not over the hill.

2) As I had three bottles, I thought I would pull one to try with friends plus many tasting notes I have read say that the vintage would never be "ready" but I'm a gamer and love to try wines with good freinds.

3) Storage has been almost perfect since purchased

4) Life goes on when it comes to corked wines but it still p.... me off when it comes to wines I have held for 3 plus years. If I get them as samples or recent purchases, I don't much care. I just express dismay and concern and then pour it down the sink.

5) Still no word from the Chateau since my e-mail to them of Monday. Like I expected a response :shock:

Phil

Edited by Phil Ward (log)

<snip>3-5% of wines are corked including first growths...

I was under the impression that the corkage rate was approximately 1 in 16 bottles or about 6%. Can anyone name another industry where a failure rate of 6% would be not only acceptable but expected?? Car tires? Brakes? Glass? Elevators???!!!??? :shock: I think you can all see where I'm headed with this.

Is it any wonder that screw tops and synthetic corks are looking a lot more interesting than an organic product that's both in short supply and subject to "infection"?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

1) It was corked as I have been tasting wines for over 30 years and selling them professionally for close to 20 years. Corked is corked not over the hill.

Phil,

I don't follow your point then.

1. it happens, why hold the front page

2. you should know it's not very good wine.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Phil,

I am lost by your response as I don't understand:

"hold the front page"

and

" you should know its not very good wine"

Maybe I'm missing something?

Phil

Phil,

I am lost by your response as I don't understand:

"hold the front page"

and

" you should know its not very good wine"

Maybe I'm missing something?

Phil

Phil,

sorry for any confusion. What I was trying to say is that under those circumstances, this instance just doesn't seem very newsworthy.

I could understand if someone had been expecting a great bottle, and wasn't sure what went wrong...

now if it had been Ducru or Palmer... :biggrin:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?