• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

$25 divided by 2

Florida Jim

With grilled salmon, garlic couscous, green beans with almonds and salad:

2002 J.P. Brun, Terres Dorees, Beaujolais Blanc:

As George put it, “so this is what Chardonnay smells like.” A clear, ripe fruit nose with some nice mineral tones and a touch of citrus is a fine introduction. The medium bodied, fruit-sweet palate has ripe flavors, a solid backbone of acidity and spot on balance; and this is what Chardonnay tastes like.

A very complete, ready to drink now expression of this grape without manipulation or wood – aside from a few Chablis tasted recently, I can’t think of a better chard.

About $11, delivered.

2002 Bernard Baudry, Chinon Les Granges:

When I first read Jacqueline Friedrich’s description of Chinon, I was captivated. With a motto like, “Drink constantly, never die” how could one not be.

“The tractor salesman shows up. Great! A reason to uncork more bottles. Then another vigneron accompanied by his mason. More vintages. A bowl of rillettes.”

Yep, that’s where/how I want to live.

And her description of the wines: thirst quenching, buoyant, a cross between a juicy Beaujolais and a young claret.

Oh yeah; gimme some.

Over the last several years I have looked for such wines and only occasionally found one approaching those charms. Search over.

This wine is redolent in black cherry and earth aromas (and not even a hint of green). Vibrant, juicy, full in the mouth, deeply flavored, no wood tones or bell pepper flavors; just the stuff to pull out when a friend shows up; lordy, I think I know how Rabelais felt.

Delicious!

About $14, delivered.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim--

These sound real good. Where did you get them? I checked out the importer, but have gotten no reply from them about where I can get these wines in California. Thanks for the info

---------------------------------------------------

"Wine Makes Everyone Hopeful"--Aristotle or Plato

"Wine Makes Everyone Hopeful"---Aristotle or Plato

Jim:

Great descriptions and wonderful finds! I shall search them out in NJ since PA is difficult at best. I'm really intrigued by Chinon with no hints of bell pepper. Not that I dislike that, but it is often overwhelming in the range of scents in the nose. And yes- isn't nice to know what Chard is supposed to taste like! I love French Chardonnay, Italian Chardonnay, etc., but really dislike most (not all) domestic Chard because it tastes like tongue depressors. Wine should taste like fruit dammit!!! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Jim:

Great descriptions and wonderful finds! I shall search them out in NJ since PA is difficult at best. I'm really intrigued by Chinon with no hints of bell pepper. Not that I dislike that, but it is often overwhelming in the range of scents in the nose. And yes- isn't nice to know what Chard is supposed to taste like! I love French Chardonnay, Italian Chardonnay, etc., but really dislike most (not all) domestic Chard because it tastes like tongue depressors. Wine should taste like fruit dammit!!! :biggrin:

Katie,

I'm not sure about this, but I believe the Chinon is one of, if not the, least expensive bottling from this producer. Assumption; made to be drunk soon.

Do try it and let me know what you think?

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com