• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

d'Arenberg Footbolt Shiraz 2001

liamdc

I tried a glass of the 2001 d'Arenberg Shiraz McLaren Vale The Footbolt in Boston about a month ago. I found it to have no nose and a very flat taste. Almost no character at all, frankly. I gave it a while to breathe, but it made little difference. A more wine-knowledgeable friend came to a similar conclusion.

Any thoughts on what went wrong with a wine that is supposed to be a goodie? Does this vintage need more cellaring? Might my description suggest it was a bad bottle?

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

I tried a glass of the 2001 d'Arenberg Shiraz McLaren Vale The Footbolt in Boston about a month ago. I found it to have no nose and a very flat taste. Almost no character at all, frankly. I gave it a while to breathe, but it made little difference. A more wine-knowledgeable friend came to a similar conclusion.

A glass? Was this at a restaurant? If you were poured a glass at a restaurant and it tasted as you described it had probably died allready. High alcohol, low acid wines such as the Footbolt are really bad choices for BTG programs because they have no shelf life. Unless you are going through a bottle every three hours and then making sure the next day you open a fresh one you are serving dead wine to people. I think your wine had aspirated its last rattly breath hours before you got a glass. You might have politely requested a glass from a freshly opened bottle citing reasons like "this one seems a little off" Most places worth their salt would have kindly accommodated you.

over it

I agree with Carema, this is why I rarely order wine by the glass. The worst time is at lunch, the glass is likely poured from a bottle opened the previous night. I had the same experience this summer with a Montes cabernet, after a few sips I knew I had made a mistake.

I have had this wine from the 2000 vintage and found the fruit to be prevelant with a great soft finish.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Thanks for the feedback. I *think* the wine was from a new bottle, but it was awhile ago so I can't be certain. In any event, I'll have to give this one another try.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic