• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yet Another Thanksgiving Plea for Help: Grilling Vegetables to Free Up Kitchen Space

Al_Dente

In order to save oven space and free up a few burners, I'd like to make a soup with some grilled (on the ol' weber) ingredients. Is this a crazy idea? Not that everything needs to be grilled, but I was thinking some grilled veggies (squash, or maybe more specifically pumpkin or root veggies) that could be pureed, or maybe a little grilled duck that could be shredded and put in the soup at the end.

Anyone have any ideas? The turkey is going to be brined and then air dried (a la cooks illustrated) with an Indian style spice rub. So if it could be at least loosely Indian inspired, that'd be great.

I look forward to your high quality input, as per usual.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

al_d, good idea with the duck.

any autumn squash would probably be good. i've had luck with a few. generally, i saute an onion, grill the veggie (i usually boil in stock), throw it in a blender with some stock and a bit of sugar and seasoning, and let 'er rip. i can't think of any perfect matches spice/veggie-wise right now, but you certainly couldn't get hurt toasting some cumin and coriander for flavor in the soup.

more exact, and better, ideas will come, no doubt. :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)

What, exactly, do you think grilling would add to this soup? In your two examples (pureed grilled vegetables and shredded grilled duck) it doesn't strike me that anyone could tell the differnce between grilled and, say, oven-roasted or pan fried.

In re to saving some burners, I think it's a good idea to make the soup course 90% the day before and then reheat it for service, adding herbs or other fresh ingredients at the last minute.

--

What, exactly, do you think grilling would add to this soup? In your two examples (pureed grilled vegetables and shredded grilled duck) it doesn't strike me that anyone could tell the differnce between grilled and, say, oven-roasted or pan fried.

In re to saving some burners, I think it's a good idea to make the soup course 90% the day before and then reheat it for service, adding herbs or other fresh ingredients at the last minute.

I just thought I might potentially get more of that smokey/seared flavor. Plus, I'm not going to get much of a chance to get things started in advance. Because of my work schedule, and travel time, I'll have about 4 hours to put something together.

-- A.B.

i think it'll add something, but probably not much more than roasting. at any rate, it *sounds* pretty sexy. i say if you need a place to cook the vegetables, the grill is a good place.

I know it isn't going to impart the kind of flavors you'd get from smoking a pork butt, for example, but I like to play with fire, I'll be out of the way of the amateurs in the kitchen, and there seems to be some sort of requirement that one drink lotsa beer whilst grilling.

-- A.B.

i think it'll add something, but probably not much more than roasting.  at any rate, it *sounds* pretty sexy.  i say if you need a place to cook the vegetables, the grill is a good place.

I know it isn't going to impart the kind of flavors you'd get from smoking a pork butt, for example, but I like to play with fire, I'll be out of the way of the amateurs in the kitchen, and there seems to be some sort of requirement that one drink lotsa beer whilst grilling.

i'm with ya, kid.