• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pascal's Manale (NOLA)

Jason Perlow

Pascal's Manale Restaurant

1838 Napoleon Av, New Orleans, LA 70115

Phone: (504) 895-4877

Click here for Pascal's Manale website.

i1159.jpg

Like the sign says, New Orleans BBQ Shrimp was invented here

i1160.jpg

Original Pascal's Barbeque Shrimp (lots of black pepper)

i1161.jpg

Combination Pan Roast

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We came here with JoAnn Clevenger to sample the BBQ shrimp, since this is the restaurant that originated the dish. It was our second lunch of the day, after a disappointing visit to Uglesich's, so we just ordered the shrimp and the combination pan roast to share between the three of us. The seafood in the pan roast was a little overcooked and the sauce/breading was too thick. The oyster pan roast at Palace Cafe is leagues better.

The shrimp, on the other hand, were great. Large head-on shrimp in a buttery BBQ sauce which was dominated by black pepper. This version and the one made by Mr. B's were our two favorite versions of BBQ shrimp, but it is a tie for first since they are completely different. Mr. B's has an emulsified roux based sauce, where this was the (more typical of BBQ shrimp) butter and spices visible sauce. You'll have to sample both and determine which you prefer. Although Pascal's original version was great, I preferred the more sopable sauce at Mr. B's.

My thoughts echo Rachel's sentiments exactly. Both Pascal's and Mr. B's are excellent renditions of barbecue shrimp (why do they call it barbeque?) but both are very different.

I loved both, but as Rachel says, the Mr. B's one is better for sopping up the sauce with. The Pascals version is much more peppery while the Mr. B's one is more buttery and thicker.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host