• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

231 Ellsworth

Margaret Pilgrim

Because its second incarnation garnered such mixed-to-negative reviews shortly after opening, I was interested and surprised to see that San Francisco Magazine this month gave 231 close to a perfect review. Have any of you visited 231 recently, and have they really pulled themselves up to this level?

Me Butter, have you heard anything? Anyone?

Many thanks.

eGullet member #80.

• 6 months later...

The only time I have been there was many years back, before it was "reopened" a few years back.

At that time, the meal was quite unmemorable -- the only thing I remember about that meal was everything was way, way too salty.

I haven't been back after the management change ... would be glad to hear about the restaurant from others.

• 2 months later...

From San Francisco Chronicle Food Section, Aug 11: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...FDG20838DR1.DTL

Philip Baker is the new chef at 231 Ellsworth (231 Ellsworth, near Third Avenue) in San Mateo. A Culinary Institute of America grad, Baker has an impressive resume that includes working in Manhattan at JoJo under chef-owner Jean-Georges Vongerichten and at Bouley with David Bouley, and staging in France at Arpege and Georges Blanc.

In California he has worked at the French Laundry, Babette's and Pacific Edge, among other places.

His menu seems interesting -- there's an appetizer of octopus escabeche with fennel salad and basil puree ($10) and entree of lamb loin with polenta fries and Provencal vegetables ($36).

The restaurant is open for lunch weekdays, and dinner Monday through Saturday.

The management team and chef when they reopened were all from The Plumed Horse in Saratoga...chef has since departed...management remains...haven't tried it, but have heard good things...would be anxious to hear about the new chef.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

• 4 weeks later...

231 is one of my favorite places to meet friends in the San Mateo/Hillsborough area. I used to like the old incarnation a lot. Food from the new group has blown both hot and cold, some plates have sung, others just sat there. The service (at lunch) is always adorable; the food is decent even when not inspired. The prices (at lunch: $18 for 2 courses, $24 for 3) are quite reasonable considering the venue, civilized service and plates.

This sounds like lukewarm praise, but I have frequently eaten poorer food with abominable service in a much less hospitable dining room. As I mentioned to start, it remains an address that is convenient and comfortable for me compared to the alternatives in the immediate area.

eGullet member #80.