• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Omakase at Morimoto

cinghiale

Had the medium omakase late Tuesday night. Having done the "small" one several times, I was expecting the addition to be into more of the warm dishes, and this seemed to be the case. Also, got a terrific toro tartar in a delicious broth to start. However, at the end of the meal, usually the highlight, the chef simply plunked down five pieces of nigiri with a cursory explanation.

In the past, the end has been sashimi, served serially and with a proper explanation, thereby affording interaction with the chef. That is, I think, an integral part of omakase, particularly for a novice. So, was the staff just trying to hustle us out the door?

Two issues relating to the context: First, we arrived at 9:15, and the restaurant wasn't full. The hostess informed us that the sushi bar closes at 10:00. We went upstairs for a drink, but my date, who works in the biz, insisted we not linger over our drinks, since the staff wouldn't want to wait all night just to serve us. Fair enough: we were seated at 9:30. Shortly thereafter, the chefs began cleaning up for the night. Second, for those familiar with the Morimoto hierarchy (Im not), our chef was the lanky, mustachioed fellow who always seems to be in charge of the crew, manning an area nearest to the dining room. In the past, I've had the taller, younger guy who works nearest the kitchen. The latter chef has always been most accommodating, once preparing additional sashimi for me when my dining companion went on strike near the end of the meal.

Finally, they claimed to be out of the Gruner Veltliner, a wine I happen to enjoy with sushi. Given that their wine list is small and the selected wine was also their least expensive, I came to feel that I was getting hustled.

Am I off base? If not, should I write a letter of complaint?

I've always felt the main dishes preceding the last were the highlight and the final sushi/sashimi plate is to make sure you're full. How were the other courses ?

It is possible that they were out of the wine. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

The dishes were terrific. I can't speak to them all, since I wasn't dining with the intention of posting and didn't take notes. A tangy mackerel and a bass/foie gras combo stand out. The last dish (firm white-fleshed) I sent back, since I found it overcooked, and they returned with a beautiful scallop dish instead.

But: the sushi's just a toss? Hasn't been my experience before. Each sashimi was carefully prepared directly before you, interaction with the chef seemed to be encouraged. I was frankly disappointed that at that level, they just deliver a plank with five pieces of nigiri and a curt, bored explanation.

As for the wine, again, the list is not extensive. Very odd to be out of one of six or eight white wines on your wine list.

The restaurant simply failed to deliver on the quality they claim justifies the price.

But: the sushi's just a toss? Hasn't been my experience before. Each sashimi was carefully prepared directly before you, interaction with the chef seemed to be encouraged. I was frankly disappointed that at that level, they just deliver a plank with five pieces of nigiri and a curt, bored explanation.

As for the wine, again, the list is not extensive. Very odd to be out of one of six or eight white wines on your wine list.

The restaurant simply failed to deliver on the quality they claim justifies the price.

I would agree if it was a more "traditional" type japanese restaurant or you were doing a sushi-geared omakase. Morimoto's Omakase seems geared towards the back kitchen moreso the sushi bar.

As far as interaction, most of the sushi guys are from Japan and very little if any english was spoken there. Do you feel the restaurant let you down because of being out of a wine and not explaining the sushi correctly? I think there are many more things to consider that make Morimoto's a worthwhile experience.

FWIW, I've seen the omakase twice at Morimoto; both times the ending was a variety of sushi not sashimi. The first time I was seated in the restaurant and the second time at the sushi bar where most of the omakase dishes for our party were prepared. Each time the server presented the entire sushi plate with a description of each piece (which we promptly forgot), even at the sushi bar where the chef could have just handed it over, but instead each plate was put on top of the bar, then an explanation to the server, who would pick up the plate and move it three feet over to in front of us and then repeat the dish description. By the end of omakase at the sushi bar, we were talking to our sushi chef about restaurants around the US. Also the second time I didn't personally have the omakase; I ordered a chef's choice of sushi+sashimi, which came out all at once as a big board of sushi and a giant crushed ice filled boat of sashimi. kt

I guess my experiences there have been different -- direct interaction with the chef. I'm truly an amateur at omakase, but I've followed with interest the postings of others about dinners at, say, Jewel Bako or high-end places in LA.

My last omakase had us talking with the chef about, e.g., what he called "snapper", but how that designation was only an equivalent for this fish harvested near Japan. We could ask him about transportation, freshness, other uses, etc. He described the taste and compared it to other fish. That piece of sashimi was served and savored. Feedback followed. Next round then prepared.

Maybe I was fortunate. But, you know, at the prices being charged, isn't it reasonable to expect a little instructional theater with your dinner? There are other perfectly good sushi houses in our area (I've yet to try the place in South Jersey that get raves here), but I believe what sets Morimoto apart is its ambience and flair. I was just disappointed by a plank of sushi described with extended index finger as "yellowtail, salmon, mackerel, sea bass, and shrimp".