• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2000 Alex Gambal Chass. Montr. 1er Cru "La

tjaehnigen

2000 Alex Gambal Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru "La Maltroie"

This was tasted at the November 2003 DC Crü Event

This was quite different from the Gary Farrell. I’ll side with the cheese comments and go with apricot yogurt, chees rind (a mildly moldy one, too) and the like. This had a pretty distinct acidity that gave a bit of a sour note on the finish (fairly long, too), but this went well with my appetizer – which was a mélange of black trumpeter shrooms (with garlic and parsley and more) which lay beneath a chick pea fritter. It worked well. It had a nice earthy/flinty character to it as well. (NOTE: The book binding comment comes next, but not on this wine!) I’d give this 90 TJ points.

(Jaimetown’s TNs)-- Contrasting this white burgundy with the RRV Chard was interesting. This had more of the cheese/yogurt element on the nose and was more primary.

(Fred’s TNs)-- This provided an interesting comparison against the Gary Farrell. Definelty got a brie or cheese rind aroma from this. Very earthy and this wine provided the TJ Tasting Comment of the night....."New book binding" I think that was it? someone correct me if I'm wrong. Great body in this wine and even though I'm not very experiance with french whites I found this to be a white I could drink more of.

(Dinwiddie’s TNs)-- I really liked it. Nice nose, smoky with tastes of honey, herbs and a touch of brie in the background. You guys are going to turn me away from the ABC crowd in a hurry.