• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1999 Gary Farrell Chardonnay Rochioli Vineyar

tjaehnigen

1999 Gary Farrell Chardonnay Rochioli Vineyard

This was tasted at the November 2003 DC Crü Event

This was quite a tasty chard. It was light medium gold color. This initially had a nice heady tropical frui nose, but, when you compared this with the ‘La Maltroie’, and then immediately smelled this wine again, I got a faint sense of onions, specifically slightly sweated onions in a pan. The wine was quite ready to drink and I never got to pair it with anything since I finished it before the appetizers came around. Nice fruit, nicely balanced and nice finish. It had a delicious creaminess to it as well. Nice. Worth 91 TJ points.

(Jaimetown’s TNs)-- All I can remember was that this was a very well integrated wine that was ready to drink. Generous fruit, restrained oak, good balance. Very nice.

(Fred’s TNs)-- This was an awesome chard, yellow gold color with big legs and a soft mouth feel. I got alot of tropical fruit with a solid back bone of french oak which lended a fantactic buttery texture. This got better and better as it warmed up a bit and the alcohol subsided into a good long finish.

(Dinwiddie’s TNs)-- The Farrell was excellent, with pear, apple and melon flavors. Not better than the other, but definitely different. Loved them both. You guys are going to turn me away from the ABC crowd in a hurry.