• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sparkling Riesling

KatieLoeb

So here I sit with a glass of Ratzenberger sparkling Riesling. This is just so delicious and I'm stunned that it's like isn't more readily available. Anyone else here a fan of sparkling riesling? This is truly my favorite thing for BYOB sushi, but it's also a very pleasant aperitif or just a nice glass to sip for cocktails.

Anyone have other sparkling riesling producers they like? This is the only one I've had the pleasure of finding locally. It's about $16.00 at retail.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Anyone have other sparkling riesling producers they like?  This is the only one I've had the pleasure of finding locally.  It's about $16.00 at retail.

I'm fond of Breuer, and Kesselstatt does a nice job as well. I've not had the Ratzenberger Sekt. It's not German (or Riesling), but Brundelmayer (Austria) makes a fantastic sparkler.

There's a shop in Southern Jersey that carries a number of good Sekts. I can give the info if anyone is interested.

von Buhl also makes a tasty riesling sekt. I brought a magnum of this to a Cal-Asian fusion dinner last year, and it paired well with several of the courses, but it was pleasing enough right out of the bottle.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

Nancy's wine in manhattan carries them because Willie Gluckstern, known Reisling freak, is the buyer there.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Nancy's wine in manhattan carries them because Willie Gluckstern, known Reisling freak, is the buyer there.

Thanks Jason. I'll check it out next time I'm in the city.

Coincidentally, I've taken a few of Mr. Gluckstern's wine courses. The "Wine Avenger" himself is quite an entertaining instructor.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol