• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aurora

Florida Jim

I saw the Aurora Borealis tonight from our home in western NC (4,200 feet elevation). It lasted about half an hour, was red (the rarest color, I am told) and I assume is the result of the solar storms that are inbound from the sun.

I never got to see it in Alaska when I visited.

What a life!

Recent wine and food pairings:

With turkey meat balls and Swiss chard en brodo:

1999 Brudlmayer, Loiser Berg Gruner Veltliner:

Closed for business; sort of ginger ale and mineral water meet acid. Hard, atonal on the palate and tight. There’s good stuff here but it’s pissy these days. Hold.

With steak and potatoes:

1994 Vincent Arroyo, Petite Sirah Reserve:

The oak has finally integrated into this concentrated gem of a wine. Lots of berry and plum flavors with some mineral and earth accents – but this is all about dark fruit in what has become a very graceful package. Terrific with the meal.

Leftovers of the meatballs and chard in broth:

2000 Nigl, Riesling Goldburg:

Wide open and has picked up substance and density. Amazing as this was all acid and angles on release. Excellent ripe fruit, lots of minerality, plenty of backing acidity and an extremely long finish. Very good with the meal.

Grilled chicken, onions and mushrooms with a side of mashed butternut squash:

1998 Torii Mor, Pinot Noir White Rose Vnyd.:

The most Chabolle-like OR pinot I’ve had. Real depth of fruit, very complex nose, utterly elegant and secondary development well underway. Still well structured so there is no rush here but the fruit was just amazingly concentrated and intense without being weighty. Think Musigny. Another nice turn around, as this was pretty sweet and simple in its youth.

Excellent accompaniment to dinner.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com