• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dumpbucket - finale

Florida Jim

Ah, the joys of excess.

It was downright cold out when the six of us assembled for breakfast. The thermometer on the porch reported 34 degrees but the wind kept amending that report. Diane made some scones and there was fruit and such. Some Linzer tortes had also appeared courtesy of our Tennessee contingent. Much coffee.

Eventually, a decision was made to take a walk in the woods. And so we enter upon our first excess of the day; six miles of walk. The upside to this distance is that we kept warm and dogs would sleep well tonight, the downside . . . well, that’s pretty obvious.

Wearily, we returned home to plates of cheese and crackers, truffle pâté, sliced capicola, pistachio nuts and the following wines:

1995 Donnhoff, Riesling Spatlese, Oberhauser Brucke:

not bad but clearly off; storage issues was the consensus.

2001 F.X. Pichler, Riesling Res. “M”:

immense wine that almost overdoes its variety; the rest of my bottles will sleep awhile.

1993 Raveneau, Chablis, Chapelot:

crystalline wine; pure and clean and full of minerals; not as dense as some of this producer’s wines but a delight, nonetheless.

1995 Rollin, Corton-Charlemagne:

returning from being banished to the refrigerator over night, this still smelled like turpentine and Calvados; Nathan said it tasted better and I won’t argue that but I’m not agreeing, either.

The dinner bell rang (actually, Trinka rounded-up the gang) and we enjoyed cauliflower soup with white truffle oil, roast chickens, roasted potatoes, grilled radicchio, green beans and roasted onions. To accompany:

First, a trio of 2002 Gamay, side-by-side:

2002 Clos Roche Blanche: just delicious with lots of mineral, ripe fruit and excellent length.

2002 Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie: wound pretty tight to begin with, by the time the evening was over this showed depth and complexity well beyond its appellation. A great wine in the making. Hold.

2002 Diochon, Moulin-a-Vent: wide open and juicy right now with a solid backbone. Nice but not on the level with the other two.

And then:

1998 Georges Mugneret, Chambolle-Musigny, Les Feusselottes:

fruit sweet and sappy, superb with the meal, excellent by itself; perfect balance. A delight.

1988 Chave, Hermitage (rouge):

at peak and very well resolved with leather and tobacco notes amongst mature fruit flavors and some pretty spice accents. Great wine.

1996 Chave, Hermitage (rouge):

pump up the volume on the preceding wine and add younger fruit; notable length. A wine well on its way to greatness.

Intermezzo:

NV Foreau, Vouvray Brut (sparkling): edgy stuff that is clear and crisp and palate cleansing; a little goes a long way.

1990 Jacquesson, Blanc de Blanc Champagne (375 ml): tired but still yeasty and yummy.

Dessert:

A concoction of sautéed bananas, macadamia nuts, yogurt cheese and spices was served with:

1972 Bodegas Toro Albala, PX Gran Reserva (375 ml):

thick as motor oil and yet beautifully balanced, killer with the dessert.

After dinner:

1995 La Mission Haut-Brion:

Oh my! Absolutely stellar wine with power and nuance, complexity and focus, great depth and so clearly of its place as to be nearly unmistakably “La Mish.” WOTN and then some.

Somewhere during the evening (maybe just before dessert) the beatings began; first, Nathan spanking Trinka, then Kathleen spanking Nathan; I’m not really sure how it started. Maybe it was Nathan’s nickname being bastardized into, among other things, pretty-vulgar-sexy-little monkey-boy-thing. Perhaps, it was Nathan being accused of looking like Jamie Sheridan. ‘Could have been the scotch.

Whatever, it was clear that we had all come a bit unglued (in a good way – no one was permanently scarred) and that the effects of our earlier forced march were catching up with us. Even the dogs took cover.

Ah yes, the joys of excess.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

1998 Georges Mugneret, Chambolle-Musigny, Les Feusselottes:

fruit sweet and sappy, superb with the meal, excellent by itself; perfect balance. A delight.

I visited those guys the last time I was in Burgundy. They do make great stuff.

Bruce