• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Nola on Bainbridge

It's also been a while since I've been there, but I had a great dinner at the Pleast Beach Grill one time, which I understand moved into Winslow and is now the Bistro Pleasant Beach.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I had lunch a few months at Cafe Nola and thought it very nice. I can't really remember what we all had, though.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Now you're in my neck of the woods (-:

In order of my preferences:

Four Swallows, Bistro Pleasant Beach, Bainbridge Island Sushi.

I've been to Cafe Nola a few times...gave them the benefit of the doubt after a very mediocore dinner and subsequent lunch...sorry, but I don't think it's very good...in terms of food and especially service.

charcoop@yahoo.com

Been to Ruby's on Bainbridge since it moved? It's across the street from where it used to be--now in the space that was the "old" Pleasant Beach Grill, then (briefly) Moonfish. Very good, lots of comfort food (lamb shanks, wild mushroom fettucine)--the kind of stuff you want to eat when the weather starts to get the way it is today.

Nola did used to be fantastic. The real draw was the out-of-this-world baked goods on weekends (croissants to make you cry, they were so good)--but it changed hands a couple years ago. It's ok, but not anything to write home about, imho. Agree with Charcoop--the service was lousy the last time we went, and the food was just ok. Haven't been back. (We end up next door at Chili Cosmo's instead--quesadillas!)

We don't go to Pleasant Beach any more--just too inconsistent.

The management of Winslow Way Cafe has changed yet again. Haven't been there since the latest switch.

Sawatdy, on Miller Bay Road, is really good Thai food. Restaurant is located, as so many good Thai restaurants are, in a strip mall next to a gas station. They're closed Monday nights.

I've only been to Four Swallows once--but it was very good. My husband has bought into the local quip that "four swallows is all the food you get," so I need a different dinner companion if I want to go there.

Has anybody been to Breezy Hill Bistro in Silverdale? I'm not sure it's even still open, but if I remember right, it was supposedly run by a husband-and-wife team who were CIA grads.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

I'm glad you echoed my feelings about Cafe' Nola. I hate to say something negative about any restaurant because it's such a subjective thing.

Went to Breezy Hill Bistro about a year ago. It was very good....but I would say Four Swallows is much better.

I'm into the small portions/tasting menu way of eating...so for me it was plenty of food.