• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UFO

Back in the late '80s I tucked a bottle of Vin Gris de Cigare into the picnic basket on the first date with Judith (now my lovely wife), so it's always had a special place on our table. I still have that original empty somewhere. I thought I noticed a small change on the label of a more recent purchase. Is that UFO a little different?

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Dear Jim,

The Vin Gris label and package have undergone a number of changements or mutations, if you will, over the years, including a see-through label, the Lizard King back-label, black and white to colorization a la Wizard of Oz and most recently a change to screw caps. And we're not yet doon, er, done. (I think that its size will be slightly shrinking this year.) But withal, I don't believe that there has been any real change in the actual illustration of the spaceship itself. (I believe that it was originally cribbed from an illustration from an early Jules Verne.) Cheers, RG