• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN:B. Mascarello Barolo 96 Canubbi

Carema

It sat in the rack for about three days until my impulse control , or lack there of, got the better of me. So I fried some bacon and warmed up a little Tallegio and here is what happened:

The color was more ruby than expected, rust orange only appearing towards the way outer rim of the glass.

Upon first sniff the alcohol was a little out of wack- 13.5 on the label, but my suspicions were it was higher.

I let it compose itself in the bottle and glass for ten minutes.

My instincts were not to decant and this proved correct.

After ten minutes, a rosy deep woodsy smell arose, along with cherry so deep it was essential. Most fruit and wood tannins had fallen away to reveal a pure and gorgeous Nebbiolo expression, mushroom, almondine, that lovely intense cherry and the delicacy of crushed raspberry with its seed. I love when tannins get to this point, unintrusive yet fragile enough to provide structure and flight- a cicada's wings.

I just smelled and smelled it. I do not think it should be aged much longer, it really is quite lovely now.

I drank half the bottle and then revisted it two days later. All that pure fruit has faded and there is some tannin again and it has returned to alcohol. So I will probably cook with the rest but I am definitely buying it for the shop.

It made me happy- a one night stand you remember for year's afterward.

over it

Sounds great. An hour in the decanter should give you a very nice wine. Did they give you a great price? Should we post a bargain alert for all those Chicago buyers in the Heartland forum. What are you going to let it go for? Don't forget that special eGullet member discount!

Pricing to be determined and yes, all egulleteers should recieve an extra special discount. As of now they seem to be hovering in the high seventy dollar range which kind of sucks since they can be had for Italy for around 40 but that is life in the states sometimes. I will keep everyone posted and if they wish to purhase they can private message me. The 1997 shall be tested next. I will keep you posted- literally.

over it