• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kriirk

kriirk

My first post! I would like to contribute to this already amazing topic.

NYT's Melissa Clark's 'Fudgy' Shortbread

From Original Article:
150g sugar
225g unsalted butter
250g flour + 3/4tsp fine salt

My own 'metric' version:
1.8dl (167g) caster/superfine sugar
250g (3dl) salted butter
5dl (278g) flour

Below is how I make these, based on personal preference and a bit of research. Read linked article to see how Melissa makes them.

With hand mixer, work sugar and room temperature butter until fluffy. Pour in all the flour, and 'fold' it in until just absorbed, then stop. I actually find a chop stick perfect for this. Spread in a small* pan. Bake in center of oven 30-60min @ 135°C / 280°F. Let cool just a little, and cut into 'fingers'. I like to make the fingers small, due to how satiating this version is.

*: I bake a double size portion in this square 9" tin. Result is somewhat substantial thickness around ~1".

-Please note that the dough will look like there is too much butter, especially while in the oven. But they will still turn out amazing. They are everyone's new favorite, since I started making them a year ago.

-Please also note that low flour content means non-suitable for making 'rounds' - use for fingers and petticoat tails only.

-Baking time will vary quite a bit with layer thickness. Then there is personal preference. I like them best when the color is just starting to change near the outer edge, so after 30 min I start checking every 5 min.

-In my opinion, these are a rare case of pastry that does not taste optimally hot from the oven. I actually prefer them served cold from the fridge the next day, making the taste rounder, less buttery and less salty.

kriirk

kriirk

Original:
150g sugar
225g salted butter
250g flour

'Metric' version:
1.8dl (167g) sugar
250g (3dl) salted butter
5dl (278g) flour

This is how I make these;

With hand mixer, work sugar and room temperature butter until fluffy. Pour in all the flour, and 'fold' it in until just absorbed, then stop. I actually find a chop stick perfect for this. Spread in a pan and bake in center of oven 40-60min @ 140°C / 280°F. Let cool just a little, and cut into 'fingers'. I like to make the fingers small, due to how satiating this version is.

-Please note that the dough will look like there is too much butter, especially while in the oven. But they will still turn out amazing. They are everyone's new favorite, since I started making them a year ago.

-Please also note that low flour content means non-suitable for making 'rounds' - use for fingers and petticoat tails only.

kriirk

kriirk

Original:
150g sugar
225g salted butter
250g flour

'Metric' version:
1.8dl (167g) sugar
250g (3dl) salted butter
5dl (278g) flour

This is how I make these;

Whit hand mixer, work sugar and room temperature butter until fluffy. Pour in all the flour, and 'fold' it in until just absorbed, then stop. I actually find a chop stick perfect for this. Spread in a pan and bake in center of oven 40-60min @ 140°C / 280°F. Let cool just a little, and cut into 'fingers'. I like to make the fingers small, due to how satiating this version is.