• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Z-H Gewurtztraminer Heimbourg

docsconz

The Z-H Gewurztraminer Heimbourg 1997 was a golden yellow color with unctuous viscosity and a lot of legs. The nose was dominated by floral notes of lavender and rose petal. The predominant taste notes were lychee, rose and peach. The wine was served with hickory grilled "Large Black" pork chops from Flying Pigs Farm, hazelnut-lemon orzo and haricots vert with truffle oil, basil and mint. The wine was tasty, but somewhat heavy with alcohol. It went particularly well with the pork chops, but perhaps would be a more winter oriented wine given its weight.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

That does indeed sound like a wonderful match... but that too is not really "summer" food. The hickory grilled pork was an excellent match too, it's just that this wine deserves to be sipped in front of a fireplace, not a summertime grill fire.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

It was medium dry but in typical Z-H fahion full of fruit. The sweetness was in no way cloying. While there was enough acid to balance the sugar, there wasn't any extra. Mostly, it was a big, ponerous wine, which is why I think it is probably one white that is better served in the fall or winter.

Twitter - @docsconz

There's ONE bottle left of the same vintage Heimbourg Riesling on our list. I'm tempted to write it off as corked waste and drink it myself now! 062802drink_prv.gif

Given the overall value of the bottle I doubt I'd get away with it, but it sure is tempting after reading your description of the Gewurz.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol