• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brian Polcyn

First, I want you to know how much I loved The Soul of a Chef - I couldn't put it down. Furthermore, I frequently found myself reading passages out loud to share your writing with my husband.

I see you're working on a charcuterie book with Brian Polcyn. Did he ever take the CMC exam again, and if so, did he pass? I was rooting for him to succeed throughout your section on him in The Soul of a Chef and wondered whether he felt driven to take the exam again.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Thanks, glad you liked the book. Funny when I finished it, I thought it was a complete disaster and couldn't wait to get it out of the house and be rid of it.

Brian did return to take Day 10 of the test. He did not pass. He is a little bitter about it. But he's a better cook, an excellent chef. And we're writing a book together on charcuterie.