• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2001 Ruffino Orivieto Classico

tjaehnigen

2/17/03

$6 TJ Points = 82

I bought this on Saturday to make some bolognese sauce with. I needed some white wine to do this with since I was ashamedly almost out of ANY white wine in the house.

This had simple white fruit aromas, the nicest was a bit of honeysuckle followed by off balanced lemon. It was quite acidic, which was good, since I had to improvise on my bolognese recipe (I didn't have a bunch of canned whole peeled tomatoes -- ACK!). Decent pale yellow colors with a tiny amount of green around the edges. The tastes revolved around everything that was in the nose, except really the honeysuckle. Just a bit too lemony for me. It would have been better with a dish that encompassed a bit more citrus in it, perhaps a fish dish.

Anyway, all in all, a decent quaffing wine, and it delivered mostly what I expected of a $6 bottle of wine.