• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1999 Clos du Val Cab

hotle

with lamb chops, fresh pasta, and garden zucchini last night.

this wine is blended with 'small amounts' (quote from the label notes) of cab franc and merlot, and you can pick up both that wonderful franc and the chocolate of the merlot along with cherry on the nose. nice plum and berry fruit, predominantly black raspberry. medium body, dark ruby color. two key things on this one for me: this was a 'last glass' wine.....i opened it at 5:15, started dinner at 6:30, and drank the last glass at about 8 pm. the last glass was clearly the best, with all of the fruit, soft oak, and nice tannins evident. second, to me at least, this is mostly a back palate wine. the front palate was short, though good.

i have 9 bottles of a case left, bought on sale at $20/btl. i'm holding the '97, also bought on sale for $20/btl case price. it's much more intense than the '99, with more structure and deeper tannins.

matt