• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1999 Duckhorn Decoy Migration

tjaehnigen

June 2002

52% merlot

34% cab fr

8% cab

6% petit verdot

Smooth tannins

Nose that drops back to your throat and tongue. Violets?

Nice legs

Medium to full body color

Smooth velvety silky

Some meatiness

Vanilla/oak later (30 min)

Nice finish

Polished and drinkable

$40 in restaurant

I liked it pretty much, as I went out and bout 3 more bottles at $20 each.

TJ rating maybe 89/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/23/03

had this again tonight. This time with pan roasted chicken served with mashed potatoes and a shallots, cognac, wine and mustard sauce. Delicios.

The bottle has been open now for about 4 hours or so. This does not have the immense nose that I remembered it having, EXCEPT when it's first opened and say for 15-20 minutes after that. Since I splash decanted this after popping the cork maybe 30 minutes prior, I stuck my head into the pitcher I used to decant it (no need for the fancy decanters with just Mrs. TJ and I). Man, it is one powerful nose that filters its way all the way down into your lungs. Quite impressive.

The wine is a bit darker than I remember it now, too. Rich and somewhat decadent. Hints of syrupiness (just hints) if you drink it on its own (as I am doing now) but delicious tastes of fresh currants and blackberries along with more floral traces that seem to keep it lighter, overall. The tannins are smooth and hold it all together quite well. The finish is quite long and nice.

I stick by my 89 from when I first had this last June.