• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: 1999 Chateau Ste Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon

tjaehnigen

I had this with french garlic sausage last night. I opened it about 45 minutes prior to consuming, but did not decant it. It aired in the glass for about another 15 minutes prior to my first taste.

(2/1/03)This wine has a deep red color, not black, but more a deep violet. The wine has no legs to speak of.

The aromas were of macerated blackberries, other red fruits and molasses. It started off with a terrific mouthfeel, but this later gave way to a less rich structure, not watery as in really watery, but watery elements. The tannins are deceptive at first, they seem to be nowhere or perhaps amazingly integrated, but then they come out from under the stone they were hiding and introduce a less balanced wine, and yes, some stoney, pebbley notes. The tannins became more pronounced and evident. The finish, at first, had been nice and reasonably long. They became shorter and not quite as nice.

My thought is that this wine needs a year or more to settle down. At that time, it could gain a point of two if things get better in check. Or, just drink it within a half an hour of opening with no decanting or airing time in the glass.

TJ rating 86-87 points.

Oh yes, the wine cost me like $17.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I had this again tonight (5/12/03), this time a little before, a little during, but mostly after some Pasta Plus pizza.

This wine got a bit better over the past three months or so. I still stand by my original TN, but for a few exceptions. The red fruits have transmorgified into cherries, especially near the end of the bottle. It was not decanted this time and it was consumed over about two hours, which definitely helped my experience this time. The wateriness had faded a little and the mid-palate was much better as a result. It'd pop it up to a solid 87 from 86/87. Maybe even an 87+.