• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: 1998 Saffredi Maremma Toscana (Fattoria le Pup

tjaehnigen

1998 Saffredi Maremma Toscana (Fattoria le Pupille)

Had this with my Laboratorio del Galileo gastronomic experience celebrating my 10th anniversary with Mrs. TJ. First glass was sipped a little too soon with the lamb ragu course, as the bottle had only been opened for about a half hour with no decanting. But it opened up well enough as the evening progressed. We had enough left to go with the cheese course near the end, even (Mrs. TJ and I have never tried two full bottles split between us in one sitting -- thankfully the waiter and Roberto Donna helped us taste it). Stems were good, but didn't check exactly what.

My notes are slimmer here than the Kistler, mostly due to a bit more clouded judgement, the evening itself spending it with my wonderful wife, my decision to not bring my little pager and forgetting to jot notes down in our dining diary.

BUT, we together wrote down A hint of mint, roasted met, cooper and loads of dark fruits. It was a very good bottle of wine that paired really well with the later course and also the cheeses. Noce balance, good acidity and a fine, fine finish. This bottle was a hint at what's to come in Italy, our real present to each other for our anniversary.

I'd rate this with 91 TJ points .