• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: 1990 Rieusec Sauternes

tjaehnigen

Tasted at a small Vinocellar offline in June 2003

This was tasted at the JohnnyB offline dinner during the chocolate cake :shock: course as well as before and after that. Tasted out of I think Sauvignon Blanc Riedel stems.

Dessert wines are always everyone's downfall right? Well, it was ours since we couldn't finish the 750 that JohnnyB had opened (I think we polished off 1/2 to 3/4 of it)! Ack!

But this was some great juice. After being warned we could not say 'honey' as a descriptor, we dove right in. I will use 'honey' as a color description though, because that is what it looked like. Lots of general notes here, but it was loaded with butterscotch, apricot, strawberries, gree apple (yeah), varnish, creamy chunks (maybe white chocolate?) with carmelized pineapple. This was great, definitely better than the 1998 vintage (whci I rated a 92, I think).

Also, my TN descriptors are an amalgam of all of us who drank the juice.

This sucker is worth 94+ points. Superb.I drank this prior to consuming the chocolate cake and the rest of what I had after a while after the cake.