• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: 1999 Kongsgaard Chardonnay Napa

tjaehnigen

Had this as one of two wines at Veritas in June 2003.

Medium gold color with a rather restrained nose. It seemed to evoke a nice honeysuckle sense as it opened a bit, followed by some mineraliness and I think quince (?). It later showed notes of toffee and caramel. This was a pretty heady and full bodied wine, but not as big as I expected. Quite viscous, it felt great lolling it in my mouth as it revealed much of what I'd smelled, the mineraliness leading into chalkines while the fruits emerged and showed their character. The toffee/caramel seemed to come into the foreground a bit, especially on the finish, but this later evolved to show a superb orange zest flavor that was wonderful.

Still, I think I expected more. When trying to choose between this and the other two vintages they had, the 98 and the 97, the sommelier suggested the 98, but when he went back to retrieve it, he'd discovered that the last 98 was gone. So I had the 99.

Anyway, this was a great wine, well balanced, with a great finish and all that, but I like the 2000 Kistler Durrell better.

I'd rate this with 92+ TJ points.