• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gateshead?

I might be popping up to Gateshead (stress the might). Is there anywhere good around there to eat, not necessarily in Gateshead but an easy drive away.

Having llived in that area for 3 years i can guarantee there is nothing worthwhile in Gateshead.

Newcastle is a better bet, but even here there is nothing terrific. 21 Queen Street and Fishermans Wharf are OK but stuffy, the Metropolitan is casual but hit and miss and the restaurant at the Malmaison has a nice view but avereage food. Vujon and Leila's are goodish Indian restaurants

I don't think that 21 Queen Street exists anymore actually. It has been converted into Cafe 21 in line with the rest of the chain. Part of the same group is Bistro 21 at Aykley Heads just outside Durham. Built in an old farmhouse / barn conversion, and located in the middle of an industrial estate, the food is remarkably good. It is rather tasteful in the light of it's northern location. One of my favourites actually!

Durham, like Gateshead, is a culinary desert. There is a fun gastropub (owing to the food rather than the decor) called the seven stars in shincliffe (bishop auckland side of town) but other than that stick to the massive branch of M&S in the metrocentre. Infact don't, just starve ...

Edited by olly s (log)

i read a good book called "cornucopia - a gastronomic tour of the uk" by paul richardson earlier this year. i have a funny feeling he ferrets out some interesting places "oop north" but i can't guarentee he mentions gateshead.

either way, it's very well worth reading.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Having llived in that area for 3 years i can guarantee there is nothing worthwhile in Gateshead.

Sorry - I just couldn't resist barging in here with my irrelevant two pence. This reminds me of an episode of 'Dead Ringers' on Radio 4 not so long ago where an impersonator in the guise of Brian Sewell rang up the Gateshead tourist authority and asked in a sniffy accent, 'Do you mind telling me, what IS a Gateshead?'

21 Queen Street and Fishermans Wharf are OK but stuffy,

Yes 21 Queen St was the one. Has it gone now? As for your other one:

Finch's Golden Rules of Dining Out

1. Never eat in a pub

2. Never eat in a restaurant called Fisherman's Wharf

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have just come back from Newcastle (my home town) and there isn't much there.

However you could try Seaham Hall which is about a 20 min drive from Gateshead which is a gorgeous hotel, the Chef worked with Marc Veyrat, however I don't feel he is at the Michelin starred level he would like to be at.

Also, the ex-chef of Seaham Hall has apparently set up shop in some hotel down near the Quayside - just up Grey's Street, and that is meant to be v. good - but I have no furter details.

There is also Treacle Moon also by the Quayside and Fisherman's Lodge in Jesmond Dene (lunch £19.95, dinner too expensive) both owned by the Seaham Hall lot. But I haven't been to either.

Tony, Never eat in a pub?? Have you been to the Star at Harome - I did recently and it was excellent.

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"