• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1991 Vieux Telegraphe CDP

docsconz

I always try to have a wine from the birthyear of my children on the occasion of their birthdays. Yesterday was my son's 12th birthday and I uncorked a 1991 Vieux telegraphe CDP that was dark purple, jammy, big and bold with a nice acid balance and a long finish. While it is certainly not "old", it is still in fact fairly young and still vibrant. We (my wife and I ) drank it with my son's birthday dinner. He requested fettucine alfredo (the full fat version), chevrilade (Italian skinny, pork sausage wheel flavored with cheese and parsley) and fresh peas with butter and mint. The birthday cake (not served with the wine) was an oreo "dirt" cake per his request.

My stock of 91's unfortunately is beginning to run low. I bought a case of wine for each of my kids from their birth years. He has a case of '91 Dominus waiting for him. Any suggestions for restocking quality '91's?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

You are a great dad. Would you adopt me?

Try John Hart Fine Wines

Craig, Thanks for the suggestion. that's a great site.

I got the idea about setting aside a case of wine for my kids in the early nineties when I read an article on a British tradition of setting aside a case of port from a child's birth year. My oldest son was born in 1989. Since that wasn't a good year for port, I opted for Bordeaux. He got a case of Lafite. My wife and I were married in 1986. I set aside a case of Lafite for us. My youngest son was born in 1999. He has a case of Haut-Brion waiting for him. Inretrospect I wish I would have loaded up on more wines from 1989 (Bordeaux, Piemonte, Rhone, Alsace) and 1991 (Rhone, Burgundy and Spain) than I did. I learned from my mistakes and have a good stash of various 99's. All I can say is they better share :smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz