• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Augustino's--Hoboken

Rosie

Memo to self: be sure to dine in Hoboken on or around July 4 and don't return to Augustino's, 1104 Washington Street, Hoboken where we met the waitress from hell. We drove down Washington St and there was not one car double parked and there were loads of parking spaces. We had a very good dinner at Augustino's but the service was horrendous.

We sat for ten minutes and were finally asked what kind of water we wanted and we were given a wine list. The wine was brought to our table uncorked. When I told the waitress that she should have opened the wine at our table she confusedly said, "why." After explaining that the wine we ordered may not be the wine in the bottle and we didn't see the cork, she offered to get another bottle. We declined but could see that she was angry. So we weren't asked for our order for another 10 minutes while people who came in after us were taken care of. Everyone had bread and we had to ask for bread when our appetizers came. The broccoli rabe with extra garlic and Caesar salad were delicious. Lowell's plate was removed and we waited another 10 minutes until the waitress removed my plate. Meanwhile, another waitress who was on the ball was reciting specials and offering all sorts of food combinations to her tables that were not offered to us. When asked if we wanted vegetables or pasta with our dinner I asked if I could have pasta with garlic and oil. I was told yes but it would be an extra $4.50. While listening to the other waitress talking to another table we learned that the vegetable were actually potatoes with a few string beans. Specials were recited and the steak special was $30 which was significantly higher than the menu items. (My fault, I should have asked.) My lemon chicken was also delicious and juicy. After finishing our dinner we sat, and sat and sat and finally the other waitress removed our plates and asked if we wanted dessert. The answer was no. I have a feeling that our waitress just ignored us and was not going to come to our table at all. $100 with tax and tip-CASH ONLY--including a $24 bottle of wine. Augustino's is frequented by many regulars who are kissed by the competent waitress as they come into the restaurant. The incompetent waitress we had really ruined our meal. We will not go back.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie, I think that the owner of the restaurant would appreciate it if you would tell him about your experience. If one of my employees treated one of my clients like that, I would want to know and I would take the appropriate steps to improve or remove the employee. Also, I'm curious if you left a tip and, if so, why?

Lowell left a tip. Bill was $88 and he left $100. It was the easiest thing to do as we just wanted to leave the restaurant and not wait for change. Chances are the waitress wasn't going to come to the table to get us change. The restaurant has 30 seats. The bar was packed with people waiting for a table.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

did you not speak with the manager?

NO, I did not speak with the manager. There were two waitress. Miss competent and Miss incompetent. I wasn't going to deal with either of them. Don't know if there was a manager or if it was one of the waitresses. The only other person working was an elderly female bartender.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I dined there recently (a repeat visit) and although my experience was 'pretty good', i can easily see the above scenario occurring.

The place is family run and indeed has a 'regular' following, all getting greeted with kisses on the cheek upon entering and exit.

While the food produced is quite good, it's a fairly small operation, maybe only 5 or 6 employees i would guess (all family, and includes the bar, kitchen, and serving staff). I wouldn't be surprised, if given the holiday, the regular server was away for the weekend and they simply asked a family friend if she wanted to work the shift. ("it's easy, you asked them what they want, place the order, then deliver it to their table")

BTW, i would venture a guess that 75% of Hoboken's waitstaff couldn't tell you why a bottle of wine should be uncorked tableside (not defending her actions, just don't think it's common knowlege amoung the Hoboken dining/serving crowd, although it probaby should be (i didn't know, but am glad i learned from reading your post))

BTW, i would venture a guess that 75% of Hoboken's waitstaff couldn't tell you why a bottle of wine should be uncorked tableside (not defending her actions, just don't think it's common knowlege amoung the Hoboken dining/serving crowd, although it probaby should be (i didn't know, but am glad i learned from reading your post))

absolutely. even at the "better" places. and even less know what to do when you tell them the wine is "corked."

i think back to the time at L'Express, in NYC, when i refused a bottle of wine because it was corked. the waitress almost looked upset, so, just to quell her anger, i said that i was sorry. she said something like "oh, no problem, we'll just serve it by the glass at the bar." :blink: how do these people get hired and have jobs? how does management put up with such incompetence? clearly there aren't a lot of qualified people that are taking jobs in hoboken, and arguably NYC. but it seems like a gross mismanagement issue. in fact, i take back my statement about how these people get and keep jobs. my question is: how do these managers get and keep jobs. they should be rounded up and sent off to Houlighans.