• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kashmiri Garam Masala

tighe

I went to a local spice shop this weekend and bought some of what they labled as 'Kashmir Garam Masala.' Frankly I got it because the smell was absolutely amazing, but I have no clue as to what to do with it exactly. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I have a wonderful little book on Kashmiri cooking by Krishna Prasad Dar. If you can get get a copy it will interduce you to a whole new facet of Indian cuisine.

Kashmiri cooking is one of my favorites, not that I am expert at it, a friend of mine gave me a few of her reciepes which have turned out pretty good. What would you like, a chicken or a lamb stew?

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

I have a wonderful little book on Kashmiri cooking by Krishna Prasad Dar. If you can get get a copy it will interduce you to a whole new facet of Indian cuisine.

Kashmiri cooking is one of my favorites, not that I am expert at it, a friend of mine gave me a few of her reciepes which have turned out pretty good. What would you like, a chicken or a lamb stew?

Lamb stew sounds good to me. Thanks, and I'll see if my local library has a copy of that book....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

And if you cannot find any Kashmire recipes (not possible knowing all the talent here on eGullet), you can always use it in place of garam masala in any recipe. Several of the recipes in this Indian forum call for garam masala. And you can easily use Kashmiri Garam Masala in those.

All right, here goes....

This is called Jogan Josh. Its a Kashmiri mutton stew(you can use lamb). Its a little different from the tradional punjabi Rogan Josh. The reciepe may not be purist and you are welcome to adapt it any way you like. She has used a pressure cooker as she was using mutton and it is quicker to do it in a pressure cooker but when using lamb a regular pot should do. Kashmiri mirch is popular in India for the intence reddish color it imparts, I would suggest using Paprika and Cayenne 50:50.

Rogan Josh

Mutton 1kg

Oil 4 Tbl spoon

Onions 2 medium size/1 large

hing ( aestofeda) a pinch

salt to taste

red chilli powder 2 tspn ( kashmiri mirch)

saunf powder 2 tsps ( ground fennel seeds)

garam masalla 1/4 tspn

yogurt 2 tbl spn

clove 2 nos

wash and drain the meat . chop the onions. heat oil for a minute in the pressure cooker. add the mutton alongwith salt, onions, cloves and hing. stir-fry till golden brown. reduce the heat and add red chilly powder. stir for a minute and add the yogurt. keep stirring till the yogurt becomes brown and leaves the oil. now add water and saunf powder. pressure cook till three whistles or approximately 10 minutes. open after 10 minutes as it will cook in its own steam . open . add garam masalla and check to see if tender. in case meat is not tender, add a little more water and cook till 1 0r 2 whistles as needed. taste and serve.

That is it. I have put down the reciepe exactly as it was emailed to me to also give you a little insight into Indian cooking terminology, method etc. The end product is a soupy stew and all the onions should not be floating around but assimilated into the sauce/gravey/curry.

this is good with fresh steamed plain rice. let us know how it turned out.

Bombay Curry Company

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Solve this mystery for me.... I read that Mughlai Garam Masala is the only Indian garam masala that is not roasted.. true?

Don't know the answer to that one but here is a link where they do roast it.

Masalas

Is there a thread on Garam Masalla?

Bombay Curry Company

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Thanks so much for the recipe, I'll give it a shot. This will pretty much be my first foray into Indian cooking, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks again.