• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carlsbad - La Jolla

llwb

Looking for the restaurant in the Carlsbad - La Jolla area that serves the best, most well-prepared food in the most casual atmosphere - often a hard combination. We are a large family group from out-of-town(no young children) who want to eat well but find the social part easier to accomplish in a more informal atmosphere given our number(10). Thanks for any recommendations.

llwb

Well, that's a span of 25 miles of possibilities there. Carlsbad itself is lovely, as is Del Mar. Most places will be somewhat casual, because that's the coastal way, but ritzy La Jolla probably a bit less so. It's been a while since I lived there, so I recommend taking a look at the restaurant reviews in the San Diego Reader.

http://www.sdreader.com/ed/rr/restcaps.html

Here's another site put together by a couple who seem to spend a lot of time in North County:

http://www.tpguess.com/~guess/restaura.htm

Try to stop for coffee and breakfast at the Pannikin in Leucadia (Hwy 101). It's housed in an old train station and holds a very special place in my heart.

I always liked Neiman's in Carlsbad, but I don't know what it's like now.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

As MsRamsey pointed out, this is southern California, so informal is the norm. I've seen diners in jeans at even the nicest restaurants here. Lunch, of course, would be more casual than dinner in any case.

Since I don't know north county all that well, I'll focus on the La Jolla area.

Along the coast, I think the best food is being prepared in hotel restaurants. Nine-Ten at the Colonial Inn in La Jolla is outstanding, California cuisine at its best--fresh, local ingredients prepared simply and deliciously. AR Valentien at the Torrey Pines Lodge and Arterra at the Marriott Del Mar are also worth visiting. For a party of ten, I would definitely recommend reservations.

It's not on the coast, but if you go to Convoy Street (Kearny Mesa area), you will find a lot of good ethnic restaurants (Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese) which are very informal and serve good food.

Both Emerald Chinese Seafood and Jasmine are Hong Kong-style seafood restaurants that can easily accommodate large parties. Phuong Trang isn't much on decor but serves good, cheap Vietnamese.

I've taken both young children and large parties to all of the above restaurants and felt perfectly at ease, but you know your group better than I.

Good Luck and please report back and let us know how it went!

• 2 weeks later...

there is this really cute place that I was at last year - I cant recall the name- it is on a cliff right off the main drag on the ocean. It has windows that overlooks the water and the food is pretty good for a casual place...Im sorry this sounds so vague but I cant remember the name for the life of me...

there is this really cute place that I was at last year - I cant recall the name- it is on a cliff right off the main drag on the ocean.  It has windows that overlooks the water and the food is pretty good for a casual place...Im sorry this sounds so vague but I cant remember the name for the life of me...

There are several restaurants in La Jolla overlooking the water. You might be thinking of Top of the Cove.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.