• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hiramatsu or L'Astrance?

coachboy

Good news is we are going to Paris/Italy next month...

Bad news is dollar is falling apart, and we just bought a house and I can feel the money drain just beginning.

So, I'm trying to be as frugal as can be, but still want a couple great meals while in Europe.

We went to L'Astrance two years ago, had a great lunch, it was 450 ff person w/wine (suprise menu-1/2 portions)...all in, $140 w/aperitifs, coffee, water. Now, with dollar, that would be at least $180.

Now I'm thinking Hiramatsu...I believe they have a 50e lunch, however web site only has dinner prices - 130 euros.

Anyone been? Also, what is current L'Astrance lunch price. I'd definitely return.

Thanks.

Coachboy

Less than 2 weeks ago we had lunch at L'Astrance, our third time dining there, and it was better than ever. We adore it. Sorry, I do not remember the price. We also had dinner at Hiramatsu and were very disappointed. The food didn't quite work, but we were told the chef was cooking at L'Ambroisie that night. (I have no idea why.) There were 18 diners (it can accommodate 20), and 16 of us were Americans. That is usually the kiss of death for a Paris restaurant. It may have been just one off night, but based on our experience, I would not recommend it.

I had lunch at Hiramatsu about 6 weeks ago and thought it was fabulous. That was my second visit, having had dinner there about a year ago. The 50e lunch menu you mention is no longer available. Prices are now the same for both lunch and dinner. They have two tasting menus one for 92e and another for 130e.

Their website has the menu posted so you can see the prices and what is available before you go. I made my reservation through their website. Here is their web address: www.hiramatsu.co.jp

I have never been to Astrance so can't compare the two but I do very much like Hiramatsu. I did notice some significant price inflation on their menu from last year's to this year's visit. I described this lunch in a post a few weeks ago titled something like "Great Value Lunch" that started off about eating at l'Angle du Faubourg but ended up on Hiramatsu. Also, when I was there I was the only English speaking person in the dining room.

David