• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

arugula flowers

Jim Dixon

Since I'm a lazy gardener, my arugula always get tall and leggy before I get around to pulling it out and planting something else. Over the years I've come to like the more pungent leaves from these plants, and I started putting the little white flowers in salads a long time ago.

Last night I went out to pick some parsley and a few greens for salad. The arugula, planted during a short sunny spell in January, is already a couple of feet tall and the top 8 inches of each plant is all flower.

I snipped off a couple of dozen and took them inside. I heated a cast iron skillet until it was about ready to smoke (from the seasoning), splashed in a little olive oil, and added the flowers (with a couple inches of stem attached). A quick stir and maybe 30 seconds later, I pulled them out and sprinkled with fleur de sel.

Really, really good. The undeveloped flower heads (just down the stem from the open flowers) are like tiny broccoli, the flowers wilt and crisp, and the stems are tender. The flavor was like arugula leaf, but not as peppery.

The only downside is that it takes a substantial handful of flowers to make one serving.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Interesting. When I am gardening I also often get into the lazy mode and end up with flower spikes where judicious picking could keep the herbaceous thing going a little longer. I am going to have to try this.

Now I am wondering about other flower stalks: cabbage family, mustards, herbs such as basil and other mint family members.

Sounds delicious.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

fifi,

I'm with you...I've got a couple of things flowering that I plan on trying this same way.

Aren't they a bit woody?

Maybe they will be later on, but these were nice and tender...reminded me of very thin asparagus.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Jim... Please report back on what else you try.

I once had an African Blue basil bush that was 12 feet across and about 5 feet high. (Yes, I said a basil bush. And I said feet.) What you said about having enough reminds me about that bush. I am in an apartment temporarily but my sister just planted several. There were enough blossoms to take care of the quantity problem and when they first emerged they were tender enough to sear. It also occurs to me that seared herb flowers could be used as a seasoning almost or "amusingly draped over the lamb chop" so you wouldn't have to have a lot of it.

I think I will sneak into my sister's back yard and add some fertilizer.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It also occurs to me that seared herb flowers could be used as a seasoning almost or "amusingly draped over the lamb chop" so you wouldn't have to have a lot of it.

I actually draped mine amusingly over an open-faced sandwich of sliced pork loin on toasted levain..drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt, the arugula provided some nice crunch and bitter edge.

I've got some cavolo nero flowering, but it's looking tough (and I want the seed). The broccoli raabe flowers look tempting, though.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

arugula flowers not nearly as troublesome in nyc :hmmm:

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais